Landlord Requirements & H U R R I C A N E S - Posted by Alexander Manuel

Posted by jeff on September 15, 2003 at 09:03:21:

I too am in the hurrican path. I called all my tenets and gave them instructions. I didnt supply boards, but I did offer tape for windows. I told them to pick up the stuff in the yard and the like. I understand your fear, just try to cover yourself by contacting them. I guess if you own apartments that may not be reasonable, but SFH it is possible.

Landlord Requirements & H U R R I C A N E S - Posted by Alexander Manuel

Posted by Alexander Manuel on September 14, 2003 at 21:38:32:

Does anyone know if a landlord is required to provide any type of protection (boards, shutters, etc.) to a tenant when a hurricane is on the horizon?

I know that it would be in my best interests to do so and all that, but I’m wondering if LEGALLY I am required to do so, especially with Section 8 tenants.

Any thoughts?

Alexander Manuel

Let’s See Here - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on September 14, 2003 at 22:38:07:

Well, let’s look at this logically. If evacuations are ordered and mandatory, where do you think the responsibility lies? Legally I do not know but laws usually are designed to protect those that cannot or will not protect themselves. Maybe they couldn’t afford a TV or radio and didn’t know a storm was comming. Courts have been known to believe dumber things. In other words, hold on to your finances after the wind blows. The storm after the storm may come. These are my thoughts to a good question.