landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by dave

Posted by Kevin (MD) on November 21, 1998 at 09:46:45:

For the small amount spent, a gift is well worth the dividends reaped as mentioned in the other posts. Here’s my thought. Never rebate the rent. Give a gift certificate from a third party. I use a $10 gift certificate from our local mall that can be used in any store. Works for pretty much everybody.

landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by dave

Posted by dave on November 20, 1998 at 20:26:00:

how do you feel about a goodwill thanksgiving time rent discount coupon or food store gift cert. sort of thing to your tenants? do you feel that the goodwill is worth the $20 or so dollars (it adds up fast with multiple tenants) is worth it or not?

Re: landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by Tbowen

Posted by Tbowen on November 23, 1998 at 12:32:47:

I always get them a ham or turkey, after all if they are going to pay me 4800.00 in rent for a year I should be able to buy them a 15.00 ham. This also gives you a good chance to go buy the house and do a little inspecting and makes for good relations with the tenant

Gift? Annual Interest at Xmas! - Posted by Mr Donald

Posted by Mr Donald on November 22, 1998 at 12:51:39:

Here’s a chance to get in good with your tenants - the easy way, since you’ve probably got to do it anyway.

In many areas, the statutes provide for a check for annual interest on the deposit held to be given to the tenant at the beginning of the new year.

About a week from Xmas, prepare that check, dated January 1st, and attach a nice letter and/or Xmas/Hanukah/Kwanzaa or whatever their preferred method of worship or celebration is at that time of the year, and send it off to the tenant.

(You can get a box of 25, 50 or 100 holiday cards for very cheap usually AFTER Xmas, so it pays to stock up for the following year in advance.)

Voila! Instant goodwill - and your tenants will love you for this “unexpected” holiday gift.

Re: landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by Richelle

Posted by Richelle on November 22, 1998 at 09:30:51:

I think X-mas is a great idea. Here, there’s alot into making homemade wine. For about $100 you can make a kit for 30 bottles. Have your own Christmas labels made up and they make wonderful, affordable gifts!

Re: Save it for Xmas - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on November 21, 1998 at 07:47:58:

I like the idea.

Re: landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 20, 1998 at 23:50:25:

I always give my tenants a housewarming present when they move in. Usually a nice flowering plant.

And I always get them a little something for Christmas. Usually a gift certificate at the grocery store and a Christmas Card.

Hey I am making on average $100-300 per month profit on these guys. I can spring for a $20 gift certificate at Christmas to show goodwill.

Re: landlord to tenant thanksgiving gift - Posted by Eric (NH)

Posted by Eric (NH) on November 20, 1998 at 23:03:35:

A couple of months after becoming a first time landlord, I gave the young couple who were renting from me a fifty dollar rent rebate when they got married, and then one year later, I gave them a fifty dollar rebate on their one year anniversary.

While I have no idea if these gestures influenced their behavior as tenants, they always paid their rent on time, and they rarely bothered me with maintenence issues. When I put the unit up for sale, it became somewhat cumbersome become they insisted on being present whenever my agent showed the unit (the husband was paranoid about his stuff), although they never badmouthed me or the condo development to prospective buyers, and I ended up selling for a twenty percent profit after owning for only eighteen months.

Consequently, I think that these small rent rebates certainly brought me good will worth many times more than what I paid. In addition, it feels good to be generous when I can afford to do so.

Eric