Laptops in Atlanta?? - Posted by Chenel Moore

Posted by Jim on March 17, 2001 at 12:46:46:

Chenel:

First off, I have never been to the Conventions (but one of these times I will).

I would have to believe that if I were to actually be in the same room with these highly knowledgable people that I would be so overwhelmed.

I also believe that if I were to do as you were contimplating…(Bringing a Laptop) would be just a piece of equipment that I would have to lug around for a few days. I really don’t think I would use it at all.

What I would do is bring along a small recording device (If they’re allowed of course) and tape the daily speaking and when I got back home I could do what I wanted with the information. Or simply use a pad and pen to jot down information.

Honestly…I really don’t think you’d want to be making entries on a laptop as the speaker was continuing with ongoing subjects.

Never been there but just my thoughts. Have a great time!, and best of success to you.

Jim

Laptops in Atlanta?? - Posted by Chenel Moore

Posted by Chenel Moore on March 17, 2001 at 12:01:55:

Is this necessary? Or can I make it without with just pen,pad and paper?

Re: Laptops in Atlanta?/ ditto cell phones - Posted by AnnNC

Posted by AnnNC on March 17, 2001 at 15:42:31:

At large circular lunch
table, well-known contributor to this site, whom I recognized by name tag sat next to me and
spent entire lunch on the phone.
Hint: if you are going to spend all of time on your cell phone,don’t take up space that could be used for
someone else’s networking.

Beer coasters… - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on March 17, 2001 at 13:48:25:

Skip the laptop. It can’t handle the amount of info you will get. Also, it will definately get in the way. Also, who wants to have a conversation with someone listening/typing away on a computer? Not me.

Bring your favorite beer coaster, instead. It will definately be more useful in getting in on the real action.

Hope to meet you,

HR

Re: Laptops in Atlanta?? - Posted by JB in MD

Posted by JB in MD on March 17, 2001 at 13:31:35:

Hi Chenel,
I brought mine last year, and it sat in my room the whole time. I, like you, thought it would be a good way to keep notes, however, it just got in the way. The speakers move so fast and cover so much material that it is nearly impossible to keep up unless you are a speed typer. I am not, but you may be. Had I tried to type all the notes that I did take on the computer, I would never have been able to tell what I was trying to write down! I did however use it for email while I was in the room at night (which wasn’t for long because you end up sitting up with anyone and everyone in the lobby and at the bar until the wee hours of the morning. Plan on getting as much rest as you can before you go, because you won’t get any while you are there.)

Enjoy the convention! There is nothing else like it! I wish I was going this year, but time constraints won’t permit me to.

Jason

Pen and Paper…there will be some there for you! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on March 17, 2001 at 13:28:33: