Laudromats-mixed use properties - Posted by Rob Day (NH)

Posted by JohnBoy on October 22, 1998 at 19:08:45:

If these are just laundromats you shouldn’t have any enviromental problems or issues that I’m aware of. Are these just laundromats as is washers and dryers using water only? Or is there any dry cleaning involved on the premises? The dry cleaning end would have enviromental issues to worry about.

As far as laundromats being a good cash cow goes, yes, they could be. But they could also be a big headache too. Laundromats usually require a lot of maintenance on the washers and dryers. This means either you or someone you hire has to be around a lot to maintain these things. If you hire someone or use a repair service to maintain the equipment, your profits are going to be eaten up by that. Bye bye cash cow.

What you need to take into consideration is the age of the equipment. The older the equipment, the more maintenance and expense you will have to maintain these. Would this be a self service laundromat without an attendant on duty or would you have an employee there at all times? Will it be open 24 hours or open early and close late at night? If you don’t have an attendant on duty you will need someone to open and close the place everyday. If your going to do this yourself, thats another headache to add. After a while this can get pretty old. You need to determine it’s profitability vs. headaches to determine if this would be worth venturing into.

I wish I could help you more on this but I’ve never owned a laundromat. If you need information on dry cleaning then I can help you more with this.

JohnBoy

Laudromats-mixed use properties - Posted by Rob Day (NH)

Posted by Rob Day (NH) on October 22, 1998 at 15:08:03:

Folks,

I have a question for you. I am curious about your opinions on laundromats that are part of mixed use properties. tehy appaer to offer great cash flow. i know about he environmental regulations you need to adhere to,but I was wondering if anyone has had success or failure with them.

Thanks,

Rob