Lead Paint. How much concern? - Posted by Steve (FL)

Posted by Chris on January 29, 2000 at 19:18:10:

1978 is the lead year.

You can find all of the goodies over at the EPA site.

-Chris

Lead Paint. How much concern? - Posted by Steve (FL)

Posted by Steve (FL) on January 29, 2000 at 18:59:55:

I rode around for 2 hours this morning looking at properties and chose 4. My Realtor pulled the MLS for all 4 and all have a “Y” in the “Lead Paint?” column.

How much do I need to be concerned about this affecting rehab and resale? I would suspect I only have to deal with it if I have to get a building permit?

Thanks.

Re: Lead Paint. How much concern? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on January 30, 2000 at 17:27:34:

Starting in September 1996, the EPA’s lead-based paint laws went into effect. In a nutshell, sellers and landlords are required to disclose that any home (with a few exceptions) built prior to 1978 may contain lead-based paint. The disclosure must be in the form of a specific EPA mandated statement, a list of any info or inspections you have, and the delivery of a brochure entitled “Protect your family from lead in your home.”

For more info go to:

http://www.epa.gov/lead/leadprot.htm

IMHO unless there is a known problem, this is just another stinking piece of paper to sign.

Of 3; built in '44, '49 & '75 (nt) - Posted by Steve (FL)

Posted by Steve (FL) on January 29, 2000 at 19:59:24:

:slight_smile:

Are you Sure? - Posted by Susan (N.Ca.)

Posted by Susan (N.Ca.) on January 29, 2000 at 19:15:34:

Are you sure there is a paint problem? Ask your realtor what the column means. You might find that it only means that there is the possibility that lead paint may be present because the houses were all built prior to 1974. (not sure about the year)
Lots of Luck,
Susan