Lead Paint . . .problem in your state? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on October 26, 2000 at 11:21:09:

I haven’t heard of it. (I do know about lead paint and the addendum of course.)

I would call the state myself. Believe me that real estate agents are a wealth of misinformation.

Mark

Lead Paint . . .problem in your state? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on October 26, 2000 at 10:49:54:

I just spoke with a real estate agent who tells me that the state of MD is going to come down hard on landlords that don’t have their rental properties clear of lead paint. They may have started already. I live in a college town where 90% of the rental properties are over 50 years old and possibly lead paint contaminated. These homes generally sell in the $40k - $70k neighborhood. The cost of removing lead paint is prohibitive to most of these property owners, so many are trying to get out from under them. I guess this could be viewed as an opportunity to buy, if you operated a lead paint removal company.
This law was first designed to help upgrade slum properties in Baltimore City where lead paint was being ingested by babies and toddlers. The state decided to mandate the law to every county, and everybody around here that owns an older rental property is running scared. None of these homes are selling and they can’t be rented without being corrected.
Is this happening elsewhere?