leaky gas lines - Posted by Kathy

Posted by JStrickland on March 30, 2000 at 09:48:35:

What type of gas is it? Natural or Propane? Is it leaking “inside” or outside of the house? If inside a good plumber can fix it. If outside, the city (natural gas) or propane company can check the line and repair it when put in service. Email me if you have any specific questions on it.

Jeff

leaky gas lines - Posted by Kathy

Posted by Kathy on March 29, 2000 at 19:21:57:

The house I am looking at to buy does not have a gas meter. It also turns out the lines do not hold compression (leaks). Anyone had any experience in getting something like this fixed?? Any idea how hard (or expensive) it might be?

I have a plumber coming out in the next day to take a look. Just wanted to be armed and prepared!!

Thanks in advance!

Re: leaky gas lines - Posted by Bill (OH)

Posted by Bill (OH) on March 30, 2000 at 15:39:35:

Kathy,
The property owner owns the gas line from the ‘main’ (running along the front of the property) into the house. That means that the owner gets to fix the problem! How much? It varies from area to area and with how far you have to run a line, but figure about $4,000 to have it done right. Remember, the line has to be dug up; a new line put in; a new tap put in; the trench may have to be dug deeper and you may have more problems inside the house. Another question to ask is ‘why did the line go bad?’. While you’re at it–better have the sewer line checked as well. For some reason, the darn things seem to go out along with the gas lines…

Re: leaky gas lines - Posted by PatrickMD

Posted by PatrickMD on March 30, 2000 at 11:51:09:

Kathy, Call MissUtility first. It’s the Law! The leak can be easily fixed by the pros, but only pros. Send them in, and then go take a nice drive in the country. A local cable installer didn’t follow the above procedure to save time, dug his trench, hit the gas line, and leveled a two story house while damaging 65 others in a suburban neighborhood in our town! “Hi, Honey, I’m home. How’d your day go?” Talk about an insurance claim nightmare! The governor’s office had to threaten the companies before they’d honor their policies. Thank God, nobody was home and not even the operator was seriously hurt. Anyway, you get the point. Call first. Pat.