Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by Matt Siemer

Posted by GregNY on February 25, 2002 at 15:20:22:

Rolling On the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by Matt Siemer

Posted by Matt Siemer on February 24, 2002 at 13:27:48:

Hello-

I just recently purchased a duplex and will be renting out the other side. I can’t believe I can own my own house for about 60% less than it would cost to rent an apartment each month; real estate is great!

Anyway, I have some repairs to do. I’m wondering, does anyone know of any kind of interactive CD-Rom that covers basic home repair information? I was hoping for something like Microsoft Encarta, where I can search for topics, look at pictures and even see video or audio instruction on how to do certain things (refinishing hardwood floors, painting, replacing doors, etc. Basic stuff).

Anyone seen something like this, and if so where could I find it?

thanks,
Matt

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by ETalbert

Posted by ETalbert on February 25, 2002 at 24:59:46:

This might not be a how-to site, but it is a great resource for rehabbing.

I am in no way associated to these people, but I have bought their products and they are very useful when estimating a rehab.
Etalbert

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by Ed Reilly

Posted by Ed Reilly on February 24, 2002 at 20:53:52:

I personally dont like the Home Depot CD. Give me an address and I’ll mail it to you.:o) Unfortunately I can not recommend an alternate, though the Black and Decker Photo guide to Home Repair book is excellent. Have you ever considered hiring the work out? Are you in the real estate business or the home repair business. Might be money well spent.

Ed.

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by RC

Posted by RC on February 24, 2002 at 15:44:00:

Home Depot is a great source of information with FREE do-it-yourself classes and professionals in each department to advise you. Also the 1-2-3 book mentioned is also available on CD Rom. Congrats on your purchase.

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by KC in Texas

Posted by KC in Texas on February 24, 2002 at 14:35:31:

Hey Matt,

Glad to hear of your newfound success. To answer your question I have found a few books very useful.

Home depot - 1,2,3 Home improvement book has step by step pictures and descriptions on how to fix everyday and sometimes not everyday issues.

Readers Digest has a good book - New Fix-It-Yourself Manual Which shows some great cutaway diagrams of how things in the home work. Wonderful resource.

Hope this helps!
Let the board know of your other successes.
-KC in Texas

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on February 25, 2002 at 13:37:06:

Do you or any associates use any of their estimators?
If so, pro and cons?

GregNY

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by Jim(WA)

Posted by Jim(WA) on February 24, 2002 at 21:45:44:

RC,

Good advice, but I have to disagree slightly with your comment regarding the “professionals in every department” comment you made about Home Depot. I don’t want to pick on Home Depot specifically, but all like-type businesses.

It is true, so I have heard, that the classes they offer have good information from qualified trades-people. It is also true that they do have very knowledgeable and professional people. However, they ALSO have “professionals” who remind me a lot of Carl the Greens Keeper from Caddy Shack and have no idea what they are doing or saying.

I have personally run into both, probably in equal measure. Fortunately I have a fair amount of knowledge of most areas of construction so I can usually tell the difference between a Pro and a rookie.

My advice for Matt is this, go ahead and talk to Home Depot but be sure that they are not your sole source of information. IMHO

Best of luck Guys,

Jim

Re: Learning about home repair & improvement? - Posted by me

Posted by me on February 24, 2002 at 23:14:24:

hold a nail with your fingernails facing towards the board. Don’t chew your fingernails after working on toilet.

ROFLMAO - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 25, 2002 at 08:38:43:

he he,…to funny!!
JMO
Todd Williamson(CO)

Re: ROFLMAO - Posted by Jim(WA)

Posted by Jim(WA) on February 25, 2002 at 14:27:19:

Tang-o-Rang

What is ROFLMAO? My current guess is this
“Really _____ Funny, Laughing My A$$ Off”.
I must be close just please fill me in.

Thanks,

Jim

yeah…what he said!! - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on February 25, 2002 at 15:49:00:

did you forget to bring your de-coder ring? LOL(laugh out loud)or as my says(LUNATIC ON the LOOSE) this is about the only thing I have learned with this new internet “lingo”
JMO (just my opinion)
Todd Williamson