Learning selling prices or doing comps - Posted by Jerry (Hutch) Hutchens

Posted by Rick(CA) on January 30, 2001 at 01:21:55:

It’s true. These are sometimes hit and miss, even for my area.

Try: http://dowjones.homepricecheck.com/
or http://www.titleadvantage.com/ (you will have to sign up FREE for this one, but you are limited to something like 13-20 searches per month per login id).

If not, make contacts with your local realtors and try and get some free comp checks in your area from them. Most will provide them for free if you just ask.

Learning selling prices or doing comps - Posted by Jerry (Hutch) Hutchens

Posted by Jerry (Hutch) Hutchens on January 28, 2001 at 20:46:32:

I know that you make money when you buy a property - not when you sell it. Any advice on the fastest way to get a handle on your local market as far as what the actual selling prices are?

I know that CS says to get in good with a local RE agent and gain access to the MLS, but what about in the meantime? I am in the process of doing a re-fi on my house to pull $10,000 out of my equity so I have some operating capital to work with and as soon as I get it I am going to start knocking down doors finding no money down deals.

Is there a website that you know of that has localized comps on housing? Or are RE agents freeer with thier info than I think they will be?

I understand the best way is to learn your market and find out all info on sells that are happening but what about until the point where I feel comfortable about what the market value is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hutch in Oklahoma City

Re: Learning selling prices or doing comps - Posted by Rick(CA)

Posted by Rick(CA) on January 29, 2001 at 01:32:57:

Hutch,

Here are at least three comp check sites that you can start with. There are more, but this should get your feet wet.

www.domania.com
www.iown.com
www.homeradar.com

Any with better IL coverage? - Posted by NewToIL

Posted by NewToIL on January 30, 2001 at 01:14:41:

I have tried all of these, and the coverage is hit-and-miss in Illinois. Even some counties that are supposedly covered don’t return any info.

Does anyone know of one that has good IL coverage? Macon county (Decatur) would be great. Thanks!