Lease/Option handicap rights - Posted by davidhasselberg

Posted by Ian(Honolulu) on March 14, 2002 at 05:34:39:

“It is unlawful to refuse a person with a disability permission to make reasonable modifications to the premises at his/her own expense if such modifications are necessary to allow full use of the premises. In certain circumstances, the landlord may grant permission for a modification subject to an agreement that the renter will make reasonable restorations to the interior of the unit to its original condition before terminating occupancy (The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988).” If they view the handrail and stair case as necessities to operate without hindrance, they can be installed at their own expense.

-Ian

Lease/Option handicap rights - Posted by davidhasselberg

Posted by davidhasselberg on March 14, 2002 at 05:14:09:

I’am lease/optioning my home at the end of the month for one year $5000 down and he takes over my $1340.00 a month house payment. Question is his mother-in-law is moving in and is somewhat handicaped . Do i have to install a handrail system in the tub etc to keep from being sued in case she fall’s . They have already asked about the stair case which i can understand and i will install. Thanks for your help and advice . Dave