lease options - Posted by Brent_va

Posted by Matt B on December 20, 2000 at 08:33:36:

The best way to get these deals is not to call ads. The best way would be for sellers to call you. When that happens, you have a much greater chance of getting a seller who is motivated. Run your own “we buy houses” ad. Put up signs. When sellers call, you’ll have a greater chance of getting a deal.

lease options - Posted by Brent_va

Posted by Brent_va on December 20, 2000 at 08:23:17:

I live in the northern virginia/DC area and am interested in lease options on either SFH/TH. I have been calling on ads that are for rent and L/O in the paper with no luck. The problem that I have is that the terms that they want,(ie. L/O term 1 yr
sales price 109,900
rent 1050
towards purchase price 100)

That does’nt sound very good to me at all, That comes up to 1% of the purchase price of the home. If I was to sub lease the property I dont,t think that I would make any money on the deal. This example was just one of many. Is this a good deal or not I don’t think that it is. I have called real estate brokers about L/O and they want between 5k and 10k down, I don’t have that. Can anyone give me some advise on what to do or any suggestions on how to get some property utilizing L/O

Re: lease options - Posted by Carlos

Posted by Carlos on December 21, 2000 at 18:09:36:

I haven’t done one of these yet, but here’s what I’ve been able to glean from my more advanced Real Estate brothers and sisters…hahahahaha!!!

You’re dealing with the wrong sellers. The key to L/O is MOTIVATED SELLERS. You want to talk to people that have some problem that they need fixing. When you find that seller, YOU make the rules. Shoot for as much of a discount on the sales price as you can get. This will of course depend on how much equity they have. Find out what the going rent is for the property that you are considering. Here’s an example:

Seller just lost his job and needs to sell. He calls your ad… “We buy Houses” or whatever
House is worth 100k FMV.
His mortgage bal is 90K.
His current pmt is $950.00 and
Fair Market Rent is $1,150.00

Your initial approach should be to get him to just deed the property over to you. Then take over the loan “subject to”. If that doesn’t work do the L/O.

With the L/O, buy at 90K with payments of $950.00.
In your contract lease for 1 year with the right to renew for 3 one year intervals. This gives you an out if you don’t want to be bothered with the property after the year. Try to negotiate 2 months before you have to make your 1st pmt. This will give you adequate time to find a tenant/buyer. Once you have a qualified buyer… ie… sombody with decent credit and with the upfront cash you want. On a property worth 100k try to get 5k upfront.

If your seller gets a new mortgage after a year, you will have made $17,400 on a property that you didn’t even own.

$10K = You bought for 90k and sold it for 100k

$2,400 = Monthly cash flow during the year

$5k = The non refundable option consideration

Think BIG
Plan Meticulously
Execute Flawlessly

Merry Christmas…
Take no prisoners in 2001.

Carlos…

Re: lease options - Posted by scott in va

Posted by scott in va on December 20, 2000 at 09:03:36:

Brent where in northern va are you.I live in fredericksburg and work in centreville.I am looking to do the same thing.Let me know where you are