legal form editing and filling out - Posted by Tom (TX)

Posted by John Merchant on September 12, 2002 at 06:33:03:

The legal issue is whether you’d be in fact acting for YOURSELF or for another entity. Bill Bronchik informed me that in some states, a person can act as a pro se, unlicensed attorney, for an entity which he owns 100%.

So the specific issue would be whether you could do that for the specific entity in the specific state, and it would take some legal research in that state’s statutes and decisions to determine the answer.

legal form editing and filling out - Posted by Tom (TX)

Posted by Tom (TX) on September 09, 2002 at 12:50:36:

When does completing forms become practicing law without a license? How much editing can we do on our own to taylor a form to our own circimstance or even remove gramatical errors or typos?

Re: legal form editing and filling out - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on September 09, 2002 at 21:42:34:

You can do it for yourself all day long and it’s nobody’s business…but if, when you start doing it for somebody else, it’s a no-no, because that is unlawful practice of law.

But if you’re personally either the seller or buyer of a property, you sure have the right (if you’re comfortable that you’re competent…?)to fill out your own papers.

By the way a RE licensee, either Agent or Broker, has the limited right to fill out and complete RE Earnest Money, or Purchase and Sales Agreements, for clients, but this is by special agreements between the local Bar Association and Real Estate groups, such as MLS, or Realtors Association, etc.

This is almost universal to my knowledge throughout the US, and has normally been done in order to facilitate commerce and make things go faster. The purchase and sales agreement is normally then delivered to a title and escrow company and that company has specially licensed “LPO’s”…limited practice officers…complete the deeds, notes, deeds of trust, other docs. They have special training and authority to do that little bit of legal practice.

Re: legal form editing and filling out - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on September 09, 2002 at 22:14:07:

What if I’m not seller or buyer but have POA or am a Trustee? Am I authorized? Thanks.