Legally Discriminating Against Tenants - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on April 19, 2000 at 08:50:09:

Flight attendants are always traveling and many times “set up shop” in one home and then everyone shares it. So, you might have 2 flight attendants sign the lease and rent from you, but you’ll soon discover that you have 50 flight attendants sharing the home and the two you leased it to are only there a few times a year. Since there’s so many people sharing the home they won’t take good care of the property - i.e. “Judy and Wendy are only in town for 3 days so why should they mow the lawn and water shrubs, let the next group that stays in the home do it.”

Legally Discriminating Against Tenants - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on April 18, 2000 at 23:00:48:

I read that is LEGAL to discriminate against tenants as long as you don’t do so on the basis of race, age, sex, or religion. The law does not specify occupation as a basis for discrimination thus if you had a lawyer applying to rent your home and you feared being sued over any little problem, you could reject him as a tenant solely on the basis that he is a lawyer. I also learned it is a good idea to not allow flight attendants rent from you either. I never knew this was possible.

Re: Legally Discriminating Against Tenants - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on April 19, 2000 at 15:58:42:

This should be an economic issue… You have an economic stake in the property. You want to rent to people who will protect that stake and NOT rent to people who damage it. That means don’t rent people to who don’t pay the rent, don’t take care of the property etc. If there is an economic justification for it, then it is fine.

Mark

Why were flight attendants singled out? - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on April 19, 2000 at 07:57:22:

Inquiring minds want to know…

Re: Legally Discriminating Against Tenants - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 19, 2000 at 07:35:11:

In addition to the Federal Fair Housing Law, each state has its own fair housing laws. Tread carefully in this area.

Please read this post… RE: Fair Housing and Fair Lending - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on April 19, 2000 at 24:35:24:

Everyone in real estate nees to know:
Hud’s Fair Housing and Fair Lending laws

http://www.hud.gov/fhe/fhehous.html

Enjoy!

Lee