Let older homes move into park? - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Ricked_Ga. on July 08, 2003 at 21:40:44:

Hello Eddie,
I have a few older homes in my park to, as long as I can get some income from them Ill let them stay, untill I get all my empty lots full of newer homes and then if any of these older homes or empty and no prospects ill replace them with newer homes.
but thats just what I got planed,
Take care Eddie

Let older homes move into park? - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Eddie-MI on July 08, 2003 at 20:57:05:

I didn’t think I would have this problem, but I have quite a few people wanting to move in older homes. The homes are early 70’s but in pretty decent shape.

The park itself has a mix of newer homes and older homes. Should I turn away people wanting to move in older homes? The rental market is very strong- maybe I should buy newer homes on my credit and move them in myself? The park has about 8 vacant lots out of 32.

Just wondering what a good strategy is as a park owner.

Re: Let older homes move into park? - Posted by Bob(OH)

Posted by Bob(OH) on July 09, 2003 at 03:18:36:

I would take a good look at your overall situation.
If your plans are to build a nice community and keep good people with nice homes then, no. If your plans are for income now and not looking at a future profit from a sale, yes.
Your plan would bring income and would look good on paper as far as having filled spaces but, if you were to think of the home owner, older homes bring down the value of newer homes. I would also believe the “class” of people who will live in them could be less than what you would desire.
In my park, no home over the age of 25 can stay if it is to be sold unless…the owner can bring it up to current park standards. Current standards include siding. All items found on an inspection must be completed before the home is sold. Not only for value but for health and safety reasons as well.
If you are in the middle of turning your “trailer park” into a community…I would think about the future of your community and where you want it to go.
Bob(OH)

Re: Let older homes move into park? - Posted by Ricked_GA.

Posted by Ricked_GA. on July 08, 2003 at 21:56:11:

Me myself wouldnot let no older homes move in my park , seems like when people get tired of living in these old homes they just skip town and ya wide up with the expence of tearing them down,
just my experiance,
Ricked