Let's Have Fun / Landlord Stories - Posted by Jimmy

I agree with using local agent - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on May 11, 2007 at 12:27:15:

Tye:

I have done the same, keeping almost all ins with the same agent, who is very competent. This relationship has at least cut through the layers of BS when frustration has been encountered.

JT-IN

Re: I agree with using local agent - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on May 11, 2007 at 13:59:03:

It would be difficult to overestimate the importance of having good biz relationships. My agent was instrumental in salvaging a recent 2-property deal for me,& we did not experience the same adjuster difficulties as others when we were hit by the flooding of Hurricane Isabel.

I’ve always maintained that chocolate is my highest yielding investment, but it is really just a metaphor for common courtesy. If you treat folks nice, they usually return the favor.

Tye

Re: I agree with using local agent - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on May 14, 2007 at 14:20:45:

Hi Tye,

My experience is that the relationship with the local agent means nothing. They are in sales and want to bring money in. The adjustors want to prevent money from going out. We are currently involved in a lawsuit where I’ve been a customer of the local agent for almost 20 years. It’s an auto accident claim where my husband was injured and the other party was at fault (ticketed and had no insurance).

I’m glad that relationship has worked for you, but my lawyer tells me that my experience is more typical.

–Natalie