License or not - Posted by Bob

Posted by Jack on April 20, 2006 at 17:36:48:

It probably would be nice if R.E. Investing was like ball players who can change uniforms just as long as they are paid. I doubt that the time will come in the U.S. that you need a license to invest your own money, but hopefully there will continue to be strong rules on people to purport to help you sell or buy your property. What an investor really need to consider when working with an agent is motivation. The agents motivation is to get paid for selling or helping to buy the Investor’s property If he is an Investor also, then his primary allegance is to himself and he naturatly will take the best ones for himself. An agent is not an investor’s friend and should be treated as such. Deal with him only if you have to and be careful that he does what you tell him.

License or not - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on April 15, 2006 at 10:16:29:

I just wanted to get some opinions on how many of you actually have a realtors license and are also investors. Also, do any of you think that having a license can hurt.

Re: License or not - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on April 16, 2006 at 13:47:34:

Bob

I have my Broker’s license and it’s been a benefit. I have gotten numerous good deals. Also, I couldn’t be as successful in my investing without my MLS access.

Of course I disclose to all Sellers that I am licensed (verbally and in writing). Motivated sellers just want to sell their house. They don’t care if you have a real estate license or not.

As The Frisco Kid said, there really is no “Realtor’s License”. You get licensed to become and real estate agent or broker. Some also join the National Association of Realtors to become a “Realtor”. It’s just a trade organization…nothing to do with licensing. Just an FYI.

–Natalie

Re: License or not - Posted by rdlazo

Posted by rdlazo on April 16, 2006 at 13:10:06:

Licensed investor agents $ are as green
as any body elses.Motivated sellers will
not care mcuh as long as they can sell their
RE and move on with their lives.
I don’t believe that sellers will refuse
to sell to buyers because they are
Licensed Re agents.
RE Lawyer said disclose you are licensed
agent and disclose more if you have to.

Re: License or not - Posted by The Frisco Kid

Posted by The Frisco Kid on April 15, 2006 at 21:55:53:

Bob

Yes, there are two mindsets when your a Realtor and an investor. And while I’m thinking of it there is no such thing as a realtors license.

Mindset one, investor, this is the one you present to sellers of property you want to buy for your own account, and if it is listed, then make your offers subject to you presenting them in person and don’t reveal the details of your offer to them, don’t let the listing agent ruin your attempt to buy.

Mindset two, Realtor, in this capacity you will have the opportunity to serve sellers that you can’t serve as an investor and generate other income, you won’t have to throw these chances away.

Both activities are compatable and can easily done at the same time plus if you were to accidently cross over to something that as a investor you should have a license for, you will already have that base covered.

Re: License or not - Posted by LK

Posted by LK on April 15, 2006 at 18:13:25:

You need to have an agent you can trust and have their loyalty (for the most part). Most agents know several if not numerous investors that would love to hear about a good deal the day it goes on the market. A lot of them have friends and/or family that would also. My mother in law is a broker and my mother just got her license. That has helped. If not for that I would strongly consider getting a license, but I dont think is would be worth it . Its really according to what you want to do with your business. You have expenses per year to maintain cont ed and dues . If you are not going to get a license and you want to find deals on the MLS, you need to build a good relationship with an agent or agents you can really trust. I buy reo (bank) owned properties and rehab them. I find out about them on the bank websites before they are listed on MLS but have to wait and go through an agent. If they are priced right, there are multiple offers the first day in this market. I dont like 3 party transactions but there is more to choose from on the MLS. So to me the better inside tract you have with a realtor, the better.

Re: License or not - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on April 15, 2006 at 11:27:48:

Having a Relator’s license probably would not hurt although you are required in some states to disclose it on every deal. Being a Relator and being an investor are normally two different things. Relators are trained to sell other peoples houses and normally do not learn in their course or afterwards about what it takes to be an investor. However they can gain that knowledge if they relly want to. They do have access to the MLS which can be a plus, but there are other ways to find comparables and properties in which an investor would be interested. It’s really up to you, but it is not likely a great advantage.

Re: License or not - Posted by Rob C. from Baltimore

Posted by Rob C. from Baltimore on April 18, 2006 at 19:00:45:

I agree with Natalie and the Frisco Kid. I had some of the same questions about a year ago and then I took the plunge and got my Realtor’s License. I am very glad that I did. With access to the MLS, I can evaluate deals in much more detail and feel better about what I am doing. Plus, I can literally save thousands of dollars when I list my rehabs for sale. I don’t find that the disclosure of my license status has hurt me at all…it is only complimenting my rehabbing business!

Much Success!

Rob

Re: License or not - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on April 16, 2006 at 08:29:49:

Bob. Thats pretty good advice from a 70 year old Relator/Investor However, that cross over mindset may be difficult. License in many states does apply to Relators although we know of no investor license needed. Maybe something got lost in the cross over.

Not. - Posted by Gavin Wilkinson

Posted by Gavin Wilkinson on April 15, 2006 at 13:40:30:

Last time I posted this opinion two people insulted me, but here goes…

I had a license and was required to disclose it when I made an offer, so I let my license lapse so I would not have to do this.

I found that when people knew an agent was making an offer, they felt that their price was too low, and refused to consider offers. If I was trying to claim part of the commission, the selling agent also bad mouthed my offers.

It is critical, when you are trying to get a deal on a property that is listed, that the selling agent says to the seller that “its a fair offer” or “you may not get another offer for a while” etc. If the selling agent says to the seller, “we can do better” they will never accept a low offer. So either you are going to pay top dollar, or you need to get that agent on your side. And the way to get that agent on your side is for them to be getting a large commission.

Re: License or not - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on April 15, 2006 at 12:16:35:

Thanks for the info. I understand that it wont help me and as an investor first I realize there is a different mindset between the two. My concern is if it could hurt any potential deals that come my way because I am a licensed realtor. Some people told me that a homeowner would frown at the idea of selling me a house at a wholesale price being a realtor as opposed to not being one.
Thanks for the info!!

Re: License or not - Posted by The Frisco Kid

Posted by The Frisco Kid on April 19, 2006 at 13:04:07:

Jack

Not 70 yet, but hope to get there.

Mindset change is simple and flowing, you know when the baseball game changes to a football game and you just change uniforms.

License in all states applies to Realtors, every real estate agent is a licensee but not every licensee is a Realtor.

The comment about an investor slipping over to something needing a license can be a lot of things, one that comes to mind is the investor (often a newbie) who slips up and fails to legally act as a principle in both the buying and selling when flipping a property as one example.

As for no investors license needed, that may change in the future if the scammers out there continue making problems for us investors.