Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by Mark Vidales

Posted by SRH (CA) on December 05, 1998 at 02:30:27:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Every little bit helps. I cannot thank you and all the others that contribute to this site enough for all that you share.

Things like this are not always in the books. I appreciate it.

SRH

Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by Mark Vidales

Posted by Mark Vidales on December 01, 1998 at 14:49:38:

If someone has their pinkslip to their mobilehome does that mean they have clear title? our local H.C.D. has a way you can check title each time by setting up an account for $500.00 and each time you do a title search it’s $35.00 and you use it each time you wanna check title.

Since I want to buy mobiles that are owned outright, if the seller has the title he does not have any liens correct???
or should I check anyway for liens.

Thanks guys!!

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on December 03, 1998 at 23:17:37:

Does anyone have first hand experience with
evictions (AKA unlawful detainers)for mobiles here in
California?
Thanks

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by DORIS - VA

Posted by DORIS - VA on December 02, 1998 at 17:42:30:

H.C.D. ??? What is that? Pink slip??? Do you
mean the title document? If a mobile home
owner has a clear title with no liens (meaning
he owns it free and clear) he will have the
title in his possession and it will state
(just like an automobile title) NO LIENS. If
he does not have it then it usually means the
lender or lienholder is holding it. Of course it never
hurts to check - just in case. Doris - Va

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by MilNC

Posted by MilNC on December 02, 1998 at 14:33:12:

What is “H.C.D.”?

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on December 01, 1998 at 15:22:13:

Hi Mark,
I would check. In dealing with MH’s I find that situations and things that sellers forgot does come up. However don’t get discouraged. I am curious about your above stated post. Are you in CA?
Dirk

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by SRH (CA)

Posted by SRH (CA) on December 03, 1998 at 04:37:02:

Dirk,
What is the best way YOU would recommend to check the title on MH’s. I do not know what “H.D.C.” stands for. Please share any info. you have on this topic.

Thanks for letting us pick your brain! It is greatly appreciated.
SRH

Re: Liens on Mobile homes - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on December 03, 1998 at 15:43:12:

Okay, In CA if a Mobile Home Title has an existing lein on it, it will be stated on the bearers copy. However there is a pretty long delay in getting a hard copy from the state of the new title, (like with any of us on it, between 6 and 8 months!) They H.C.D. (housing and Community develpoment, which is the CA department of state government which handles among other things Mobile home transfers, new titles, title searches etc.) our in the process of computerizing their whole opperation. In the office which I deal with they are extreamly understaffed and have a lot of backdated orders and such. Anyhow I have developed a pretty good relationship with my local office. A title search is $35.00. I have never heard of the $500 mentioned by Mark.
Anyhow if your in CA doing Lonnie Deals you are going to need to familierize yourself with HCD. All the forms can be picked up there (Power of attorney, title transfer, etc.) Oh and don’t forget the smoke dector form, very important. Really all the forms are very important, and everything needs to be signed properly and such. A lesson I learned having to drive like a couple times for more than an hour, because I didn’t get signitures in the proper places. Believe me I learned where to get the signitures now.
I have found in my dealings with HCD that go in knowing that these people are understaffed and pretty busy. Be patitent and nice, makes things go a lot smoother.
Again HCD applies to CA. In other states Mobile Home business is handled by either the registry of Motor Vehicles, or Secretary of State, or whomever handles car titles and whatnot. In CA you have to go to HCD.
Also When you go to say transfer title and everything, if the existing leinholder has not signed off it puts a stop to the whole transaction. Everyone who has had an existing lein whom I have came across (so far) have been very upfront in telling me about existing leins. Because otherwise it is a waste of time for both sides for them not to. And I ask them, “Do you own your Mobile Home out right? Are the taxes paid up on it? Is the registration current?”
Also HCD issues a 3"x2" sticker, which must be placed on the outside (roadside) of the Mobile Home. It’s just like a big car license plate sticker. Tells if the Mobile home is regestered or not, and when it will need to be renewed.
Hope this helps,
Dirk