Life sucks when you're in college.... - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 28, 2000 at 17:09:41:

Yes, I have read Rich Dad, Poor Dad. What is the point? I heartily agree with his philosophy of putting your money to work for you. Just because not being an employee works for him (and you and maybe everyone else in the world) does not mean it is right for me. I am not so much defending the prospect having a regular job and a supervisor as I am defending my setting my own priorities. Why are YOU so concerned if I choose to have a regular job and like it? If I told you that everyone should have a regular job would you accept that? Of course not. So why is it any different for you to say that everyone should NOT have a regular job?

As for your 2nd paragraph, you are way off base there. Who ever said I am a captive to my job? As I said, I CHOOSE to be here. And if you do not like the prospect of having a regular job then don’t get one. I think that is great. Far be it from me to tell someone else how to live their life. However, that sword cuts both ways. I am only taking issue with the statement that no one should have a regular job or a supervisor. Going from a situation where “some tyrant BOSS put the screws to en amployee” to the statement that no one should have a J.O.B. or a sueprvisor is an amazing leap of faith. And if you read my original post on this issue, that is what I said there.
Finally, having a real job in no way precludes setting up passive income streams. I wholeheartedly recommend real estate investing. The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Mark

Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by Pavon Bailey

Posted by Pavon Bailey on February 23, 2000 at 07:51:30:

MAN I am so upset right now!! I just need to vent right now, so no offense to anyone on this site. Just found out yesterday that I have a test in Business Ethics and Morality on Friday. FRIDAY!!! That’s during the convention!! Anyway, I begged and pleaded with my teacher to ask him if I could take the test in advance or later. He said NO because by me taking the test ahead of time, I can give answers to my peers! THAT SUCKS! Secondly, if I take the test later, I can get answers from one of my peers in class. I told him about the convention. He said “You can go, but you’ll have to forfeit the test and get a 0. This test counts for 1/3 of your final grade. Pavon, you have to decide which is more important now…the test or the convention.” Unfortunately, at this point, it’s the former. I am sorry that I can’t make it to meet all of you wonderful people and get top-of-the-line, 100% Grade A advice in real estate. But my college education is important to me at this point in my life. Mom and Dad are dishing out a lot to put me through college. But I REALLY wanted to go to the convention. I feel really bad now. I’ll just leave. Has anyone had that feeling when you really wanted to go somewhere and you find out at the last minute that you can’t because something else popped up? That’s how I feel now. Life sucks when you’re in college.

A very depressed Pavon

Life isn’t all roses when you’re out of college - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on February 23, 2000 at 22:55:15:

Excuse me, but why do you think you are entitled to special treatment? The professor is just trying to protect the integrity of his test and does not owe you any favors. He gave you rational and defendable reasons for refusing your request.

Others who suggest going to the dean to plead your case are also off base. Why should the dean grant you a special dispensation and overrule one of his professors? The dean’s priority is to ensure that the college is providing the best possible education with the best faculty s/he can assemble. The dean will just say that if your extracurricular activities are interferring with your education, then your priorities are out of order.

By applying to college and accepting admission, you apparently have placed a high priority on getting a college education and have even accepted a scholarship to do so (you did say your parents are paying the freight). Don’t you think you have a responsibility to abide by the rules of the college and your parent’s trust in you to successfully complete your education?

What happens after college when your job requirements limit your freedom to just take time off. Are you going to go over your supervisor’s head to demand special treatment? If you do, I believe the corporate world will have little patience with you.

Sorry, but I just can’t sympathize with your position.

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 23, 2000 at 22:05:58:

It is not just when you are in college that things like this happen. I was planning on going to the convention after hearing all the excitement about last year’s. Last November I got word that my employer was buying out another title company about 300 miles away (Naples Florida). I was told the purchase would be after the 1st of the year and I could expect to spend about 5-6 weeks solid working there. Of course the sale got pushed back and finally the sale closed this Monday 2/21. Knowing this, I had to postpone going to the convention.

I am writing this from my hotel room in Naples right now. As Robert Kiyosaki put it, “Life pushes you around.” In the meantime though, I rented out one of my properties last weekend and am renting out another this weekend. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches because life will continue to punch back at you.

Stay committed and don’t give up. Best wishes.

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by NB(ID)

Posted by NB(ID) on February 23, 2000 at 19:44:40:

I worked my way through college and I’m still the only one in my family that’s finished college. I can’t explain to you what it means to a poor child raised on welfare to break the vicious circle of failure and support myself (and other family members).

Maybe I’m not rolling in the dough because I didn’t get into real estate earlier in life but I have no regrets for the price I had to pay and the sacrifices I had to make to obtain that college diploma.

I respect your decision to live up to the responsibilities you feel toward your family. I’m also disappointed that I can’t attend the convention–because of my “JOB”. I’m hoping to attend next year. I’m almost 50 and just starting out in my real estate career and I assume you’re in your 20’s just starting out in your real estate career–if I can be patient, so can you!

Angels on your body:)

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on February 23, 2000 at 18:39:59:

Pavon-

Do you think your college would give you credits for attending this intensive financing seminar. Ed Garcia is a banker(excuse me Ed if I got that wrong) which should be conventional enough for an institution of higher learning. Mr. Bronchick is an attorney. The other speakers are in charge of corporations.

I’m sure that if the professor thinks these are infomercial people he will look down on the convention-but if you make the terminology sound conventional suit and tie that might change his outlook. Maybe a talk with the dean will help.

-Chris

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on February 23, 2000 at 09:02:12:

Pavon,

Obviously, whatever you do is a personal choice. Early in my adulthood, I made a very important decision of how college was going to play in my life. College was simply going to be in a support position to what I wanted to do, not the other way around. I had to make that decision since I decided I was not going to continue being a dependent on my family. This meant I needed to work full-time and squeeze college in as time permitted. It meant classes would be scheduled AROUND what I wanted to do. And if things came up like your situation, I either took the hit or I dropped the class. It was simple for me. College was second despite what my parents or my instructors said.

Eventually, I figured out going to night classes was far more efficient (since most events happend during the day). Attendance was only one long evening per week. And since it was traditionally people who worked during the day and people who were more mature, instructors were far more flexible than their daytime counterpart.

It took me about 2.5 years longer to graduate but it was worth it. I was relatively free during that time (except those things imposed by my employer) and did what I needed to do while most everyone “played by the silly self-imposed rules”.

I knew early on that no one asks what grades you make after your graduate. As such, if I got an A great. But if I only got a C on a class I hated, I was thankful to simply finish it. Because, college was an environment I learned to manipulate to my own benefit. I always had the control. If I didn’t like it, I simply changed the situation. And like Terry Vaughan always says, “if you can’t win, don’t play”. The college won’t be going anywhere.

Life is about choices. If you feel trapped, you need to look at that to find out what is “blocking” you mentally.

What happened after college? Well, my GPA was only a 2.6 (I got tossed out of college my first year for having extremely bad GPA but later recovered). No one asks to this day what my GPA was yet I have this nice framed diploma in my office.

While everyone had graduated and desperate to finding a break or just landed their first job, I already landed a good-paying job BEFORE I graduated making more than 75% of the company’s employees. Because I had already put so much time in the “corporate world”, it was nearly 4 years later, I simply left the “corporate world” to be self-employed.

So there is definitely hope. You have lots of options if you DARE to choose them. And it is obvious to all that you WANT to be involved with R.E. and the convention. To me, it would be a no-brainer.

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by SteveA (FL)

Posted by SteveA (FL) on February 23, 2000 at 08:32:01:

Sounds like your Prof is being very unreasonable. Unfortunately, there’s always a handful like that in college. They get their tenure and think they can do whatever they want to whomever they want. I had to go to school an extra quarter because my “advisor” told me I had to take classes I didn’t need. Do you think she cared? Of course not. If you’ve already paid for the convention and since you’ve had this planned for so long, I’d go to the Dean if you really want to push it. But of course, then you run the risk of retribution by this unreasonable Prof. Good luck. There’s always next year.

Re: Life sucks when you’re in college… - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on February 23, 2000 at 08:27:40:

Pavon,
I too am in school and occasionally I have work obligations that conflict with class or exams. Most of my professors are reasonable when it comes to those other obligations, but some respond the same as your professor has. If your class is graded on a curve, you may try this approach about taking the exam early: “Professor, if I were allowed to take this exam early and since you grade this course on a curve, why in the world would I share information on the exam to others? If I help others get a better grade because I leak information to them, that will almost assuredly secure a lower grade for me, right?”
I don’t know if it will work, but it’s worth a shot.

If it doesn’t work, can’t you make it to the convention late on Friday or Saturday? Lots of information to be had!

Good luck

Scott

Re: Life isn’t all roses when you’re out of college - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on February 24, 2000 at 02:43:48:

Dave,
I agree with you, but only on a point or two. Contacting the Dean would be a waste of time and should not be utilized as a mechanism for Pavon to have his cake and eat it too. My Dad is the Dean of the College of Business @ Oklahoma and I doubt he would listen to many requests like that. Rather he would re-direct that individual to his/her professor.

I do disagree with your assessment that a trip to the Dean would precipitate a comment that Pavon’s priorities are “out of order”. Priorities are up to the individual and Pavon was given a choice. Show up and take the exam at the scheduled time or don’t show and get a zero. This is NOT a moral decision.

I am also curious about your last statement. Although I would never discount the value of an education, I would think that most folks visiting this board would be the last to suggest going out and finding a JOB after college like the other 2 million graduates. Instead, thinking ‘outside of the box’ and working for yourself. You are exactly right…he shouldn’t ask his supervisor for time off to attend “extracurricular” activities like the CREONLINE convention…HE SHOULDN’T HAVE A STINKIN’ SUPERVISOR TO ASK! He will probaably be a lot better off AND in control of his time and life.

Scott

Re: WANTS TO SELL YOUR CONVENTION AND HOTEL FOR BARGIN - Posted by ALI

Posted by ALI on February 23, 2000 at 23:27:10:

HI IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SELLING YOUR CONVENTION AND HOTEL FOR DISCOUNT CONTACT ME
:slight_smile: I LOVE THIS BUSNIESS
ALI
972-466-2551

When handed lemons, make lemonade…(so many opportunities!) - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 24, 2000 at 10:10:10:

Posts like yours are uplifting NB!

Years ago I met a gal who was also trying to break out of the vicious cycle of a family entrenched in the welfare system—and make a life for herself and her young son. (She was in a Hotel/Restaurant Management class in Phila. with my ex.)

I went to visit her in her in her high-rise housing project one day. It was just like on TV folks! Trash piled high in the stairways, drug dealers doing their ?transactions?, bare bulbs light bulbs?very scary, roaches.

She said to walk CLOSE to the building (because people would drop things off the 20-story balconies ? killing you instantly if they hit the target). Believe me, this was an eye-opening experience for ?Apple Pie Woman? here!!

To this day, I have nothing but COMPLETE admiration and respect—when I think back on that young woman and what she had set out to (and finally did) accomplish.

When there is a burning desire and a will, there is a way!!

Great post Matt! (nt) - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 23, 2000 at 11:08:16:

nt

Just show up late at the convention! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 23, 2000 at 08:47:42:

Professor DOES sound like a bit of a b u t t head('scuse tha French) :slight_smile:

If you were were planning to drive, just get there a little later.

If you’ve had your heart set on going, then don’t give up because of a minor obstacle!! Find a way around it!

YOU CAN DO IT, Pavon!!

Susan

The other side of the job issue… - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 24, 2000 at 11:22:12:

Who is to say that he should not have a job or a supervisor? Why are you (or anyone else) applying YOUR priorities to him?
I have a job which dovetails quite nicely with my REI, thank you very much. I could probably quit my job and go full time REI. I have no intention for doing so for the forseeable future. Note: This is my choice.
I applaud whole heartedly people who hate their job and quit or who really want to do REI full time and do it. I think you should likewise applaud people who want a full time job, get it, keep it, and love it. There is nothing inherently wrong or evil with a job. In fact, there are plenty of positive aspects to them.

Just my .02

Mark

Re: Life isn’t all roses when you’re out of college - Posted by maurice

Posted by maurice on February 24, 2000 at 09:51:06:

I had to respond to this. I am a newbie and would like to thank you all for this site. I am one of those people that went to college, graduated and got a “job”. I worked faithfully making the company several hundred thousand dollars and portions (small) for myself. I went to work as usual one day and was told thankyou for your contributions but we are downsizing, GOODBYE. I am not saying that to discourage anyone from going to school, but I am saying preapre yourself for the best possible situation you can put yourself in. College is OK but I am sorry, it in itself does not prepare you for what the real word has in store for you today. OK enuff preaching. Thanks again for this site and I will appreciate all the help I can get putting this CS program to work for me.

Re: When handed lemons, make lemonade…(so many opportunities!) - Posted by NB (ID)

Posted by NB (ID) on February 24, 2000 at 20:32:29:

Thanks very much for your comments. I was very fortunate in that I had someone who convinced me that I could break the cycle–my maternal grandmother. She drilled into me from the time I was little that I would graduate from college.

I feel lucky that I didn’t live in the city, but in a very small town. I had an alcoholic stepfather that tried several times to kill my mom, brothers and myself, plus my maternal grandparents a few times. (Fortunately, for us, he never got the deed accomplished). However, he did finally kill an alcoholic buddy and went to prison when I was in the 7th grade.

All of this left me with low self-esteem, but a determination to finish college. Little did I know at that time, that would be the most important decision I would make in my continuing messed up life. I didn’t have to stay in unhealthy relationships like my mother did–because with my job provided by that college education I could support myself and my daughter. I guess I’ve said all that to say this–I feel sad when I see people on this site bad mouth formal education. Granted, I’m getting a wonderful education from this and other internet sites, but please don’t bad mouth formal education. As a teacher, I know that everyone of my students isn’t cut out to follow a real estate career. We all have different avenues in life we will pursue and a formal education is very important to some people for many different reasons. If you’ve been successful without a formal education, good for you. But how many people you went to school with that didn’t pursue a formal education (academic or vocational) have made it as good as you have?

I guess I got up on my soap box and it’s time to get off now. Again, many thanks SusanL–angels on your body:)

(oops–this post belongs one level up…) nt - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 23, 2000 at 08:49:39:

nt.

Re: The other side of the job issue… - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on February 28, 2000 at 01:17:20:

Mark,
I’m not sure why you are so vigorously defending the prospect of having a regular job (and supervisor). Have you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad? The priorities I spoke of are not just mine that I choose to FORCE others to live by.

I fully understand the good and bad aspects of having a job and a supervisor. In fact, I am applying to medical school for this Fall and expect to be in either this Fall or Fall 2001. I CHOOSE to pursue a career in medicine knowing full well that when I get out, I will probably be someone’s employee. I DO NOT like that prospect, but it is what I want to do anyway. I am not, however, so stupid that I am going to buy into that job mentality and not pursue RE investing. Investing that gives you income based on your knowledge and efforts. Investing that gives you the financial freedom to not be a captive in a JOB, even as a physician, if the rules change and make your job a JOB and not what you want to do. I chose medicine or it chose me, but that doesn’t mean that I, or anyone else should have to completely sell out to an employer that doesn’t appreciate the efforts and loyalty the employee gives them. I’m glad that you work in a hunkey dory environment. Great for you. But surely even you might have heard of a situation where some tyrant BOSS put the screws to an employee that did not deserve it and the employee just had to sit there and take it because he/she was a slave to the paycheck they worked for. What a crappy situation…to be a captive. Obviously you have not experienced such a feeling. I have, and short of masochists, I don’t imagine too many folks would be happy to be in the same situation- no matter what the job.

Scott

Reccommended reading… - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on February 24, 2000 at 11:28:20:

I strongly reccommend you read a book called Die Broke.
It should be required reading for anyone considering entering the job market today.
I dont agree with 100% of the book but the part about how to perceive your job is right on as far as I am concerned.

Mark