local investers group - Posted by Becky

Posted by Sherry on February 21, 2001 at 15:17:18:

Jim,

Don’t say that, I am so looking forward to by first REI group[ meeting on 2/28. To be honest what you put in your post is a feeling that I had, but I kept pushing it aside. I was thinking the same way, like aren’t we eachothers competition? I am still going to attend the meeting, and I will keep everyone posted on the results

Sherry

local investers group - Posted by Becky

Posted by Becky on February 20, 2001 at 19:13:48:

How would I go about finding a local investment group to gleen wisdom from? I’m in southern NJ if anyone reading is apart of one here.

Re: local investers group - Posted by Jim

Posted by Jim on February 20, 2001 at 21:20:00:

I really hate to be the guy to throw the monkey wrench into this, but I personally gave up on local investor groups. When I was just beginning it was a great thing to be part of our local group.

Seems that most everybody in it was kind of a “Newbie” and had done very little in the investing aspect part of the group. Before long it disbanned and everyone went their own ways. No one ever started the group again and as it stands today it is non existent.

I really sincerely believe that someone who has the knowledge, wisdom, and marketing secrets to do this business is surely not going to share with anyone of any group (He probably wouldn’t belong to that group in the first place) those secrets. After all, you’re his “COMPETITION”!!! He would in essence, be spiting himself and his business!!

Think about it!

I know I’ll catch some flack on this but…

Jim

REIA clubs - Posted by Monique

Posted by Monique on February 20, 2001 at 21:15:52:

Becky,

There are Real Estate Investors Association clubs all around the country. There are four in NJ.

Check out this link for more info:
http://www.creonline.com/clubs.htm

Monique

Re: local investers group - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on February 22, 2001 at 08:45:07:

Jim,

It’s unfortunate that you had a less than favorable experience with your local real estate investor group. Luckily, my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. The largest group in my area numbers about 550 members. We generally have somewhere between 175 and 250 people attend our monthly meeting. This includes both members and guests. The group has been in existence for about 20 years. Our membership list includes dozens of full-time investors, many of whom have been in the business for decades. What a wealth of knowledge and experience!! And I have yet to meet one of the pros who doesn’t freely share his/her knowledge and advice with “newbies”.

Yes, a large percentage of our members are “newbies”. And one interesting thing I’ve noticed is that each and every month we sign up 10 to 15 new members (not renewals) and yet our total membership increases by a VERY small number each year. Many of the “newbies” that start out in real estate investing quickly learn that it is a lot harder than they thought it would be, so they drop out.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX