looking for finance knowledge - Posted by Bryan

Posted by RR Smith on February 22, 2000 at 04:56:37:

cough, cough, this could be an example that explains the difference between real world experience and the stuff they teach in the ivy league…

looking for finance knowledge - Posted by Bryan

Posted by Bryan on February 21, 2000 at 19:25:56:

I began the Sheets’ course this weekend. All was fine until the explanation of the techniques. I went through chapter 11 twice and I’m still lost. I am not an idiot (or at least I thought I wasn’t), but the explanation of the techniques left me feeling like one. Apparently the Intro to Accounting class in my BS, and the Corporate Finance class in my MS, were insufficient. Can someone point me to a good source (web or otherwise) to get a firm understanding of the financial terms he uses? He loses me when he talks about taking mortgages, giving mortgages, giving notes, etc. I don’t think its the real estate, as much as the finance aspect that’s giving me problems. I’m sorry to be long-winded. Thank you for your help!

Re: looking for finance knowledge - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on February 23, 2000 at 21:44:29:

I took the same classes. I have a BS in Business Admin. with a concentration in Finance. “BS” about covers it. About the only thing I still retain from those classes is the interest in making compound interest work for me.

The best book I have read, college included, to relearn the basics and show you how to make money work for you is Lonnie Scruggs “Deals On Wheels”. The book sells for about $30 at this site and is extremely education in this area. The book walks you through real deals (mobile home investing) and shows how to make the numbers work. Even if you don’t have an interest in investing in Mobile Homes, take this advice and get a great education for $30.

If you want something geared similarly toward paper but a little more toward mortgages, “Invest in Debt” by Jimmy Napier is a great little book for about $15. It can only be purchased from his website I believe. If you need the site, email me and I will find it for you. Jimmy’s book is written in a similar format to Lonnie’s but is not as specific as lonnies. Lonnie’s book, in addition to providing a great understanding of finance basics, takes you step by step to setting up and running your investment business. Everything from negotiating techniques to the paperwork. I highly recommend both of them.

I would trade my degree anyday for the education and success Lonnie’s little book has given me.

Best Wishes,

Tony-VA

Maybe not - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on February 21, 2000 at 20:34:19:

We have our own language that is easily comprehendable once applied to daily situations. go to www.legalwiz.com, look under “Free stuff” (I believe) heading on the left hand column then sub heading “Glossary” Hope it helps and keep posting
Pat