lost title - Posted by Samantha Swearengin

Posted by echo on April 20, 2007 at 12:11:57:

Here in Ga an insurance company can do what they call build a title. But its about $200. Call yourcounty DMV and see what they say.

lost title - Posted by Samantha Swearengin

Posted by Samantha Swearengin on April 20, 2007 at 10:53:30:

I bought a mobile home from a individual who assumed posssession of the home when they bought property to build a new home. They sold the mobile home to me and now I am wanting to sell it. They never gave me a title since they never received one. I currently live in the state of MO but will be moving to NE soon. My question is how do I go about receiving a title if they do not know who the previous owner of the trailor was?

Re: lost title - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on April 23, 2007 at 12:31:25:

Hey Samantha,

I’m just now reading your post and the related replies. Just to reiterate, in case you haven’t been smacked hard enough yet, NEVER HAND OVER CASH W/O GETTING TITLE. I’m sure you won’t make the same mistake twice. Lord knows, I’ve made plenty of bone-headed moves of my own too.

To solve your problem:
John Merchant laid out a good plan. Check w/ the DMV to see if they WILL tell you who owns it. I stress “will” b/c I know they can. If they won’t cooperate, check witht the park owner or manager where the home is located. Whoever owned it eons ago had to have a lease with the park and it ought to be in their records (or recollection) somewhere.

Once you’ve figured out who owns it you can approach them and ask them to sign the necessary paperwork to apply for lost title and reapply in your name. I’m not sure of the exact process for this when it involves a third party like that, but the DMV should be able to point you in the right direction. Consider, though, that approaching the owner may open up a can of worms. Will they “sell” it to you now? Or will they view this as winning the lottery, apply for lost title and sell it themselves? Just something to think about because technically you own squat.

OR

Go through the abandoned title process. It will take a couple months, require the park’s cooperation and you’ll still have to find out the name of the real owner.

Best of luck,
Michael(KCMO)

P.S.
What part of MO are you in?

From lawyer’s viewpoint - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on April 23, 2007 at 10:54:10:

If you were talking to your lawyer, here’s what he/she’d be seeing and wanting more info about:

Is this a MH on land or no land?

If on land, you probably knew enough to demand a deed, so my guess is, NO land involved here.

You say your Seller “assumed” possession of the MH and I have no idea what this means…quite likely they did NOT assume anybody’s loan on a MH as most of those loans are very definitely NOT assumable as an assumption has to be approved by the lender and normally MH lenders don’t do that.

In most (or all?)states a MH title is handled just like a car and here in WA it’s the same state agency that handles it…and when selling a MH, the S & B just meet at one of the Lic. offices and the S signs off on his title when the B pays him and that T is handed to the B.

If there’s a new loan, the lender gets the T and the B gets the Registration Certificate…then when the loan is repaid, the Lender releases the T and hands it to the B.

Here in WA State it just takes a couple of minutes for the Licensing Agency to pull that MH up on their computer screen and determine who owns the Legal Title…and if it’s truly lost the S can sign an affidavit to that effect and get a duplicate T in just minutes.

The state lic. agency in the state where the MH is located can like-wise, in just minutes, tell you who is the T owner of the MH.

Then you’ll have to deal with that person in getting a title to the MH…IF they agree to give it to you.

My guess is your lawyer may have to find and go after the person who allegedly sold it to you as he/she didn’t quite give you enough to get you in solid ownership position…and that S is going to have to sign off on either the T itself or an Aff.of Lost T so you can thereby get enough paperwork so YOU can sell the MH.

Betcha you’re more careful next time, huh? :wink:

Re: lost title - Posted by hfrancis

Posted by hfrancis on April 22, 2007 at 11:11:26:

Here is a link to the Missouri state government telephone directory.
http://www.mo.gov/mo/functions/functm.htm

They have listings for:

Manufactured or Mobile Homes - Titles Revenue 526-3669
Manufactured Housing Regulations 751-2557

I would just call and ask them.
Heather

Re: lost title - Posted by dave

Posted by dave on April 21, 2007 at 20:38:22:

OMG no title? Thats like leaving the store without your items in the cart and no reciept in hand. How would u go back in the store to collect the items you bought? LOL
I have a good idea for all newbees. This idea by the way would probably help any business owner with thoughts of building a business. If you have a college nearby take a course in either business law or contract law or brush up on the subject matter. You have got to get paper work when you pay out moneys to secure assets. I know this is after the fact but this is so basic a concern , that your dealing in this business concerns me that the same type of problem would arise on your next deal. Treat the business like a cover your assets type thing! I hope you understand that. I also never pay money without getting title or security. Well I do hope you can iron out your title problem with a small enticement of under 50 bucks to get the poeple to show up to sign. If not this becomes a major pain!

Re: lost title - Posted by mike barlow

Posted by mike barlow on April 20, 2007 at 13:27:20:

I feel for your situation. Do you live in the mobile home in question or
is it a rental? It probably doesn’t matter but I was just curious. You
may be OK here. It could take up to two months for you to get title but
you probably can get title if you have possession of the home. It may
be similar to what we are going through in getting title to an
abandoned home. We are in the final stages of gathering all the
information that DMV wants for us to present to them before they can
issue a new title in our name. i.e State title search, bonding, trying to
find old owner through certified mail, establishing value and id &
publishing in a newspaper.

Good luck

Why would you hand over money if no title? - Posted by Jeff-oh

Posted by Jeff-oh on April 20, 2007 at 13:02:37:

One question, Why would you give any money to anyone if they do not have the title?

How do you know they were the rightful owners?

From what I can see, neither you, nor the previous “owner” ever officially owned the home.

You may not have a leg to stand on to claim possession.

That said, call your local title office and see who does own the home.