Louis Brown vs. Bill Gatten - Posted by Brian (Northern NJ)

Posted by William Bronchick on March 04, 2002 at 08:40:38:

The lease in my lease/options course is fairly simple for a reason: I really don’t care what the tenant does, so long as he pays rent on time and maintains the property. For a '“regular” tenant, I do use a stricter lease.

Honestly, in all my years of practicing law and being a landlord, my experience has been that lease clauses don’t mean all that much . . . either the tenant will comply, or he won’t REGARDLESS of what the lease says. And, most of us are too busy to get into a “joust” with a tenant over anything OTHER than rent, damage to the property or bothering the neighbors.

Louis Brown vs. Bill Gatten - Posted by Brian (Northern NJ)

Posted by Brian (Northern NJ) on March 02, 2002 at 12:23:55:

Does anyone know the differences between the Louis Brown and Bill Gatten programs? Which is better? Has anyone created deals using either?

Funny how things are viewed… - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on March 02, 2002 at 23:44:24:

I have not seen anything illegal, unethical or just couldn’t be done in Texas.

That needs some expanding on, in my point of view. As long as things are clearly explained in the contract I am not sure what is illegal. I like Browns Lease. It covers a lot of bases that the Bronchick does not. So does the “Standard Texas Lease”

I like Bronchicks Option better vs. Browns, that is my personal opinion. But I don’t see the illegal point of view, sorry Bud.
Browns does cover more that a lot of the leases but hey, just look at Johnboys lease. You can’t get much stronger there.

Just as I see it…

Terry (Houston)

Re: Louis Brown vs. Bill Gatten - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 02, 2002 at 20:17:15:

Let me first say that I am quite experienced at using Bill Gatten’s approach. Lou Brown’s is nothing like it. I have reviewed a number of LB’s tapes and was not impressed with his speaking. I have not meet him in person nor personally heard him speak. There were a number of things in the tapes that were either illegal, unethical or just couldn’t be done in Texas. Not that everything is bad. His approach is just subject to and L/O. I had heard he had good contracts but didn’t feel they were any better than some others.

It always pays to listen and review various materials. I still haven’t found any better bang for what I want to do than Gatten’s approach. You may want to do something else for which another approach may be good.

It’s Not… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 02, 2002 at 13:39:16:

either or…

You learn a little from everyone…

You just have to decide where your going to start… listen to as many folks as possible and formulate your own opinions on what will work for you…

David Alexander

Re: Funny how things are viewed… - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on March 03, 2002 at 24:28:43:

Lou Brown points out how to make money on an insurance damage claim. If the decking on the roof had tongue and grove boards then you can get the insurance company to pay for the more costly alternative to plywood. He then suggests you go ahead and use plywood while pocketing the difference. Just isn’t going to happen around here.

It’s late and I don’t want to go look it up. He talks about having a clause in his contracts that you forfeit your downpayment on a CFD as with an option or a lease with any protest. It wouldn’t take a savey lawyer to point out the illegality of that.

I still like Larry Pino’s lease that I got in 1991 as part of his desktop lawyer. Bronchick purposefully simplifies his because of his approach. I can’t fault him for that. If you want more specifics and all inclusive things then you would use someone else’s lease.

Re: Funny how things are viewed… - Posted by Terry (Houston)

Posted by Terry (Houston) on March 03, 2002 at 08:46:29:

The material I have is on his Lease and managing properties.

I have not seen anything as it pertains to the insurance or CFD.

But, as with anything in leases or CFD you should have a good lawyer in YOUR OWN STATE check it out.

As we both know not everything in everyone of the Gurus course is going to fit every other states guidelines.

Thanks for the clarification.

As for me I still think his property management course is one of the best out there.

As to the fault of leases, I too like Bronchicks for the simplicity.
But I also wanted a little more meat. That is just me and my preference.

Kind of like some people like L/O, subject to or even the Pac Trust.

Thanks again Bud,

Terry