Low Income Tenents - Posted by John Ford

Posted by Nate on March 13, 2001 at 22:30:26:

The same way you would handle it if any other tenant tried to move in people who were not on the lease: issue them a notice that they are violating the lease, and if they continue to violate it, file for eviction!

It’s all about tight management…

NT

Low Income Tenents - Posted by John Ford

Posted by John Ford on March 12, 2001 at 16:52:23:

Does anyone have any experience with low-income (state housing authority) tenants. I am looking at some lower cost houses and the numbers appear good. Any feelings / experiences / information would be appreciated.

Re: Low Income Tenents - Posted by evelyn (FL)

Posted by evelyn (FL) on March 13, 2001 at 08:15:32:

Get some good properties, go to your local section 8 office and tell them what you have. PRESCREEN your applicants…get GOOD tenants, get a security deposit, a lot of them DO have jobs, and you will be okay.

Good luck.

Evelyn

Re: Low Income Tenents - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on March 12, 2001 at 17:57:12:

They are similar to other tenants IF you treat them like all your other tenants (i.e. exact same screening requirements, rule enforcement, etc.) and want to deal with the administrative stuff involved in taking Section 8. A lot of people get themselves in trouble because they DON’T adequately screen Section 8 tenants (some people think Section 8 does it for them - hahahahahaha) and get stuck with tenants who are on a long term lease, and are unlikely to get much in damages from the Section 8 folks when/if they move out.

Search the archives on “Section 8” and I promise you’ll get more information than you need.

NT

Re: Low Income Tenents - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on March 13, 2001 at 15:12:32:

But how do you deal with the significant others of these tenants who move in and bring assorted new problems that you didn’t screen for? I’m interested in doing this myself, but my husband has had that kind of experience with Section 8, which makes a good case for a reason to avoid. Your feedback is appreciated!