M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by Houserookie

Re: M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 24:43:58:

I’ve been shopping around for a good domain name and
best $$$$$ for site programming, promotion, and
design.

It never hurts to try something new. : )

Posted by Houserookie on January 10, 2001 at 16:07:01:

I agree. There are too many free sites to list homes. The problem is, it’s not simple enough for buyers and sellers. Personally, I don’t like to search all day long or wonder through a site to get info.

Im trying to find an easy to remember domain name like homes.com or somethign like that. So it gives the extra advantage to get sellers listed.

Another point is, I wonder if sending people to a site with millions of other homes will help sell your home.

I am thinking more like providing a service for the local sellers.

List them free. Then contact them weeks later.

Houserookie

Re: Investor M-L-S… - Posted by Newbie

Posted by Newbie on January 14, 2001 at 10:57:30:

Well, my thought was not that the site itself would turn a profit - rather that the investors contributing to it would profit from their time and effort put into it. As I said in my earlier post, the site will have to be content rich to attract and keep visitors who may be selling or looking to buy property. All that content has to be written and maintained by someone - why not the investors? Anyone wanting to be a part of the project and profit from it would have to agree to create and maintain a portion of the content (articles, FAQ’s etc.) much like the contributors to the CREonline.com site. As far as how many investors would be needed, why not just start with the few very interested contributors you have and let it grow from there over time? Just thinking out loud here…anyone?

Re: M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by joejoe

Posted by joejoe on January 11, 2001 at 08:25:25:

rookie,

May I ask what your fulltime profession is? Your
name says rookie, yet you seem to be more of a veteran
than the veterans I know.

JJ

Re: M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by Paul NM

Posted by Paul NM on January 11, 2001 at 01:37:33:

Hi Houserookie,

I think small so I don’t have any franchising or other plans for the domains :slight_smile:

However, I already own a few domains and can put up a simple minded web site in 3-4 hours. If someone without those skills has an idea they are willing to advertise in their market I am willing to gamble my time; figuring that if it works, I am already set up to benefit from applying the concept in my market. If it doesn’t work, I didn’t have to pay for the advertising and I can try another idea.

As to your other point:

The seller would advertise his home in the local paper with the free listing sites URL which would presumably be short, snappy, etc. etc. :slight_smile: The purpose of the CREonline listing would be to drive potential buyers from CRE to the local sites. It would let you tell sellers that your site is seen by x,000 visitors to the national site etc.

So far no one has really figured out how to take advantage of the web and I am really happy to see this kind of discussion here. I get really frustrated every time I put an ad in the local paper because I know that for the price of a one-time insertion of a three line ad I can pay the hosting fees for a multi megabyte site for two months. No doubt in 20 years we will all look back and marvel at how obvious the answer was.

Paul NM

It’s Timing… - Posted by Glen

Posted by Glen on January 11, 2001 at 09:22:57:

I’m am not trying to discourage you from trying a free web site. Just think it through with all the possible problems. Most probably a free web site will get you some deals you may not have had…and also help you loose some deals you may have gotten. My current preference is to get the seller to focus on my solutions only, not other possibilities that may help them solve their problem without me. It’s all timing (the seller’s timing) and I want to be the only choice when the seller makes a decision.

I also want the seller to think of me first as an investor and problem solver, not as a web site guru. For instance, I have a broker’s license and I thought I might market myself as a discount broker to attract sellers and then talk to them about buying their property. But I decided that I wanted to get them to focus first on the area that makes me the most money (buying their property) and second on listing their property if they don’t accept my offer.

However, try the web site and let us know if you think it is worth the time and money to find those sellers who will accept your offer.

Re: third thought… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 02:14:40:

Paul,

Hello Again…

I thought I was the only real estate geek that stays up this late.

There are ways to prevent “borrowing” of data.

As for realtors and their listing. i’m convinced that many agents just “fabricate” what they can do for the clients. They can’t tell the difference between an exclusive agency, exclusive listing, and open listing.

Sign by the dotted line please… : )

This is no different from investors signing POAs with
right to assign…aka…buyer and/or assigns…

I’m convinced that most sellers don’t know what the term “assigns” means. But they do it…

What could happen, as a result of the web is, all the options could be made available right on the website.

Give the sellers their options. Give the buyers their options. Let them weigh their options.

My guess is, few RE investors will want to give options
without probing the buyer/seller.

Re: How About “Almost Free”??? - Posted by joejoe

Posted by joejoe on January 10, 2001 at 23:52:25:

hi rookie,

you tend to raise some good discussions. I love your marketing ideas. Like the one with the pizza and newspaper boy a few weeks ago.

I like this idea alot, I just dont know if website
programming is as easy as most say.

But I do believe that the web and what it can do will make it difficult for private investors.

Maybe not now, not next year, but a couple years from now the web will make things difficult for us.

I say go for it and see what happens…

JJ

Re: How About “Almost Free”??? - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on January 10, 2001 at 18:32:58:

1. This site gets a lot of traffic because
  2. I know how to get good search engine position to
    advertise the classifieds section

I don’t understand the rest of your question.

Re: M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by Stacy (AZ)

Posted by Stacy (AZ) on January 10, 2001 at 16:13:32:

See, now you’re talking about what differentiates your site from the others: local, not a million other houses, etc. You still have to promote the site to the locals. Keep going…

Stacy

Re: Investor M-L-S… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 14, 2001 at 11:17:10:

Okay that makes sense. Would this be something
made exclusive to investors or everyone, include agents?

Attn: Rookie - Posted by Lorraine-S

Posted by Lorraine-S on January 11, 2001 at 18:07:55:

Hello Rookie,

I frequent this board about twice
a month. I believe what you are
planning with your web
project is great. Some people
here seem to be afraid of changes
and it’s hard to blame them since
the bread and butter for investors
is information.

Glen doesn’t want to discourage anyone
from offering a free service, but
he sees no problem in contacting
all your sellers if posted. : )

There will always be money to be made
from the lazy and those in need, to say
that he wants sellers to focus on his
solutions is a rather narrow view, IMHO.

Lorrie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 14:14:39:

Hi JJ,

I am a web marketer, with thousands of hits to our sites daily. I’m not going to tell you which site it is for privacy reason.

I am a debt broker. I buy RE contracts and other debt instruments and then sell for profit.

My main concentration is RE notes with brokers in a few states. Some notes I keep others I flip within 1 minute to 1 year.

I am fairly new to this area myself. I am not used to DOING the deals myself, but starting to more and more.
Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 02:01:47:

Paul,

I feel like I am talking to myself since you seem to be on the same time as I am. : )

ONe thing we know for sure is that the big sites like
realtor.com has no interest now or will ever want to
do this type of stuff.

If we look closely at the web, it was only in 96 when Prodigy online was KING. Now aol. who knows what next…

The web has yet to define itself. To say that it’s too late to try anything new is insane.

I like your idea about the two step process. Since CREonline.com would serve as a “yahoo” to the other
sites.

Does JP like this idea? Or will Creonline.com simply
become another classified2000.com or yahoo classified.
As the web becomes more diversified, I do see your domain names becoming hot assets.

I’ve visited hundreds of RE sites. And the only one that I remember are Creonline.com, realtor.com, homes.com, and yahoo.com.

Why is that?

Subscription site. - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 13:58:11:

Okay that sounds fair. But for those people that do want to pursue this method, a free website is a great
tool to get things done.

Perhaps, you can set up a subscription site for buyers/sellers to read your inside secrets. Meanwhile, offer a free listing?

If information is the key to real estate investing, then an information site can be profitable.

For people that dn’t want to use the information as a do it yourself tool, then you can offer your solutions.

Are you afraid too much information will interfere with your business?

Houserookie

this is interesting - Posted by loraine-S

Posted by loraine-S on January 11, 2001 at 10:29:58:

Why would you want them to say no to u before offering
a yes solution??? Personally you sound like one of those salespeople that come to my door and try to sell the vaccum cleaner then the Amway, then the new carpet. Well if that’s not what you want I have a discounted health membership for you too…type guy…

What do you use as ice breaker to get in the door? I You sound like you’re very protective of your solutions, but time is changing my friend. I doubt anyone will think of you as a web guru, the problem that I see is many “business” websites are amateurish at best. Alot of investors have a heck of a time understanding option agreements in plain English, let alone know what html codes.

I just read that portable digital assistance (PDAs) are growing more in popularity than ever before. Weeks from now everyone will access the web while jogging or waiting for the doctors appointment.

The real estate industry is an information industry.
It will be a challenge to hide “secret” information or solutions, UNLESS YOU INTEND TO PROVIDE A SERVICE WITH IT.

Lorrie

Re: How About “Almost Free”??? - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on January 10, 2001 at 22:13:23:

Can’t speak for HR, but I think it’s about, then EVERYONE would know how to do CRE and there would be more competition(?)

Re: M-a-r-k-e-t-i-n-g-- B r-e-a-k-t-h-r-o-u-g-h - Posted by Paul NM

Posted by Paul NM on January 11, 2001 at 02:14:58:

“I’ve visited hundreds of RE sites. And the only one that I remember are Creonline.com, realtor.com, homes.com, and yahoo.com.”

And here I thought HandymanHomes.com was pretty good :slight_smile:

Paul NM

Re: Subscription site. - Posted by Glen

Posted by Glen on January 11, 2001 at 18:29:03:

No, not too much information, but you do want motivated sellers to depend on you to solve their problem, not figure it out themselves on your web site. Also, I am not against a web site. Just make sure your site helps you with your personal prime directive or mission…making contact with motivated sellers and solving their real estate problem. Anything else may be interesting or get attention, but is not good if it distracts you and your resources (including your time). However, if you have thought through the system you will use and it helps you meet your mission, then doing it is great. Already, you have been refining your idea so it will work better for you instead of being a distraction. Maybe a subscription method will work better…I don’t know. But I do know you want to make sure motivated sellers think of you as the best help to their problem, not as the best way to advertise their property. Maybe you should promote your services by saying you will buy their house or advertise it for free if you don’t buy it. That way you could negotiate a deal first (the prime mission, in my opinion). The danger I see with this is you still have given them a backdoor and they may hope that there may be another way to go then just your offer. Now this is getting too analytical. If your hypothesis is your web site may work, only doing it will let you know if it will work. Successful marketing is often trial and error, not always a science. And the more opportunities you have to talk to motivated sellers, along with the most “tools” you have mastered, the better your business will be. Good luck!

Re: this is interesting - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on January 11, 2001 at 14:08:11:

Lorrie,

I don’t quite understand your question point here, but do agree that the web is playing field for information.

If your business is dependent on “secret” information or knowledge, keeping it secretive would be your key.

I do believe, however, that there are people out there that can read and understand stuff, but will not and cannot use any information given to them.

Houserookie