Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by houserookie

Re: Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by HOuserookie

Posted by HOuserookie on December 29, 2000 at 10:45:45:

I have volunteered a few sources as well.

As I scroll through the messages, some important ones get ignored because they were asking for specifics.

AGain, I am only raising this issue in hope of improvemetn for this coming year.

Re: Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 29, 2000 at 10:43:32:

interesting point you have made.

Many many experts are taking the road of information selling. And less of real estate doing.

But I do agree that Bronchick gives the most.

Houserookie

Re: I understand your sentiment… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 29, 2000 at 10:40:57:

I agree.

But I have also learned that the moderator can add,edit, and delete anything that might appear as ads.

What I am trying to ask is why there is 98% on things that are available in the library. Marketing101. Whereas, the main fruit is in the money.
Dont think for one moment that I don’t like this board. I enjoy this board. That’s why I am criticizing it in hope for some imporovement.

Houserookie

Re: Shaun…Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by Shaun

Posted by Shaun on December 30, 2000 at 07:03:30:

Jessee Ventura! Now there is a Guru of gigantic proportions.

Re: Joe…Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on December 30, 2000 at 22:41:44:

I haven’t noticed many questins not being answered here. However, if only 50% (or whatever) got answers so what. This is a free site and you get what you pay for, only here it’s usually much more and better than that. I’ve also noticed that most fo the questions that go unanswered are more of the type that are so basic, it’s like whose got time to type out an answer for the 500th time, when they should be starting in the archives and with a course, or some other printed instruction.

And, I’ve also noticed that when question go unanswered, if they are posted again, they are usually answered. Why don’t you answer the unanswered questions, since you are obviously not a rookie?

Re: Joe…Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 29, 2000 at 20:05:21:

House,

I disagree. Questions might go unanswered for a number of reasons. Has nothing to do with someone selling this course or that course.

Re: Joe…Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on December 29, 2000 at 18:33:29:

I’ve been on this board now for about 4 years and haven’t noticed that connection. Maybe I’m biased.

Still, if someone asks a foreclosure or mechanics lien or lease option question, and I have an answer for them, I naturally post a reply. The idea that that might help me sell courses isn’t a consideration. I’m just happy to be able to contribute when I can and more often, learn while I’m here.

Joe

Lazy? - Posted by Jeanne

Posted by Jeanne on December 29, 2000 at 11:28:31:

Dear Houserookie,

You are welcome to ask ANY question you’d like, but don’t cry if you don’t get the answer you want. Have you bothered to read the 150 FREE “how-to” articles on this website? Be Careful! Most of the authors sell courses or advertise on our site. A few just wrote them because they saw a need. Have you visited the chat room? Have you searched the archives? Maybe the posts that have been ignored have been answered a thousand times before you appeared on the scene. I search the words “Hard Money” in January 2000. I had 52 results. Be careful! You actually have to read them all, but maybe you’ll get the answers you want. Have you visited a local REI Club?

If you have a hard time understanding something, read all you can about it. If something sounds foreign, make it familiar. Ask questions. There are so many people on this board (with or without agendas) who give so freely and will help you. But DO NOT expect to be spoon-fed here. YOU have to do the work. That’s what David’s talking about. You’re not going to like hearing this, but you need to leave the “entitlement” mentality of our generation behind.

By the way, posts are removed for the following reasons:

1. Advertisements and/or solicitations for business.
  2. Obscenities.
  3. Name calling and personal attacks.
  4. Posts not related to real estate, paper or mobile home investing.

WE DO NOT EDIT FOR CONTENT! This policy has served us well for five years.

Good luck! Hope to meet you in person in March 2001.

Jeanne Roach

Re: David Alexander - Lazy? - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 29, 2000 at 11:19:28:

Wow, I’m impressed… so much that I don’t get the intent of your thread.

If folks come about and want to really learn they… they will learn and the teachers will appear. I don’t see the value in your post so maybe I have misunderstood? You obviously have the info, so why post the questions or the sarcasms.

Do you not give the people the benefit of the doubt that they too can learn… and diligent siphon through the info. Hey, I make no bones about trying to be smart, consider myself being molding and forever learning and Lazy… Yes I am.

David Alexander

I am good at surrounding myself with folks smarter than I.

David Alexander

There is no obligation or duty… - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on December 29, 2000 at 18:21:54:

… for anyone to respond to a question. Everything is done on a voluntary basis. It has been said repeatedly.

What is there to be fooled about? That this website is in existence to make a profit? That it sells books and tapes. But it also simultaneously provides a lot of free information and a medium for people to discuss topics?

What is the problem you are having here? Is someone “supposed to” give you everything for free?

Re: Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by MatthewC

Posted by MatthewC on December 29, 2000 at 18:15:59:

There are also many “experts” who DON"T sell their information even if you were to beg them. Those people do deals day in and day out and have no interest whatsoever in taking the time to write a book.

Do you see Donald Trump writing any real estate or negotiation books or tape sets? If he did, I am sure a ton of people would pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for that information.

Heck, people are paying thousands for a Legrand bootcamp. Imagine what Donald Trump could get for a Trump bootcamp?

I would say just get over your hangup of people selling information.

Maybe you would complain less if there were NO courses and books available to learn from where only the “experts” knew the info and kept it to themselves?

Here’s a thought - Posted by ScottS

Posted by ScottS on December 29, 2000 at 16:55:08:

Possibly since you have some valuable experience you can offer.

Maybe there would be an opportunity for YOU do do a course on marketing? Opportunity = profit.

Scott

Re: Shaun…Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 30, 2000 at 14:54:50:

And man does he know marketing and how to make money
with free publicity.

good post Jeanne… and let me say… - Posted by steph in tex

Posted by steph in tex on December 30, 2000 at 08:04:39:

I’m with the masses on this HouseRookie…
It’s not so much what you ask, but the manner in which you do so. One of the problems with boards (any) is that we are free to place our own twist on the way the post was meant to be written. This can work for you or against you. For this reason, I find it helpful to re-read my post before I actually submit it, and try to see if anyone might find it offensive. There are always “kinder, gentler” ways to post, that may afford you more responses, and more friends and allies on this board. But that doesn’t always mean that you will have the time etc to re-read everything you post. Someone may at some point take offense, as many have within this thread. I know that as large as this group is, we are all very protective of each other, as you can see. Believe me, you want to be “in” and not “out” of this group, as it will help you in your education greatly. We are a great group. And we don’t all have something to sell, but give of ourselves freely~ to anyone who respects the rules and people who post here. I don’t think you were really trying to slam anyone, but if hoping for improvements to the board was your mission, perhaps you could have stated your case another way?
No hard feelings. We’re all here to help.
And by the way… I have no courses to sell.

steph in tex

Re: Lazy? Jeane. - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 29, 2000 at 17:47:56:

Before you start questiong whether I or anyone wants to be spoon fed, please start by reading the posts and replies.

Know what we are talking about before you insert yoiur opinion.

HOuserookie

And Hopefully Folks… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 29, 2000 at 13:35:05:

that can type and edit better than I… :slight_smile:

Wow, I’m impressed… so much that I don’t get the intent of your thread.

If folks come about and want to really learn… they will learn and the teachers will appear. I don’t see the value in your post so, maybe I have misunderstood? You obviously have the info, so why post the questions or the sarcasms.

Do you not… give the people the benefit of the doubt that they too can learn… and diligently siphon through the info. Hey, I make no bones about trying to be smart but I’m not there yet, consider myself being molded and forever learning and Lazy… Yes I am… Extremely.

David Alexander

p.s. I am good at surrounding myself with folks smarter than I.

Re: Making $mart Deci$ions - Posted by HOuserookie

Posted by HOuserookie on December 29, 2000 at 18:22:19:

I understand where your coming at.

And yes Donald Trump does write books.

However it would cost him more money to run a camp
than he would in making $$$$.

Mr. Trump can make money using the interest on his money and buy/sell a couple of major resorts every now and then.

Also, the “experts” will also write a book, tapes, and course. Becaue they make money doing it. It’s easier and the cost of distribution is low. And time is less compareed to doing multiple deals in RE.

Re: Hi Scott…Here’s a thought - Posted by HOuserookie

Posted by HOuserookie on December 29, 2000 at 17:59:03:

Im a better marketer than I am a RE investor.

You bring up a good point. But I’m not sure if I want my hair to turn grey too sooon. : )

Let me call a few people and see if there is a demand for a website that reveals Loan sources, Note buyers, and IRA investors to the private investor.

Is there enough market for this? What would people pay?

I am actually trying to improve this board. Now I am looked upon as the bad guy. The guy that is lazy. The guy that wants to be spoon fed. The guy that ought to read the 150 how articles for my answers.

HOuserookie

Re: point made… - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on December 30, 2000 at 14:53:49:

If u look at the total responses to the recent post that day compared to the rest, it’s clear that the point was made.

I wanted to raise an issue and everyone took notice.
Now try using it.

Re: And Hopefully Folks… - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on December 29, 2000 at 23:33:39:

David,

I shouldn’t but I will. Horserookie is 25. Admits that he lost lots of money in the stockmarket. Admits he has bought lots of property. My opinion is that he is impressed with himself. Why be impressed, when the success seems to be because you start with money. Those to be impressed with are those that start with little, learn to use others money, and do deals without the big bucks.