Marketing a Mobile home - Posted by Greg

Posted by Rod - Mo on September 14, 2003 at 21:48:29:

Greg,
First, you may need to add the number of bedrooms. I would also not include the length of the note, replacing that with ‘terms negotiable’ if you are getting motivated. Is area a factor?

If I had to guess, I would say the ad appeals to people who think or know their credit is questionable. Is this the market you are trying to reach, and if so, would payday be a factor? In some areas so many people get paid on the 15th and end of month that you don’t even want to go near a bank on those days. And those very people are usually the ones living hand to mouth.

It is very difficult to appeal to the general populace is one ad. Can you afford more than one ad? If so, consider running multiple ads (keyed, of course) and then you will have a more targeted appeal. As a bonus, you will have leads that come with information on what type of MH/area the prospect is looking for. Remember the line ‘that one has been sold, but I have some more coming available’?

Best of luck
Rod

Marketing a Mobile home - Posted by Greg

Posted by Greg on September 14, 2003 at 21:12:17:

I would like to get someones opinion on marketing a MH,have put ad in the thrifty nickel but only got two calls from parties interested in MH’s not in my area. The ad read : WILL FINANCE - 1994 Fleetwood MH $750.00 down,$195 month for 36 months 0% interest call********* please advise
thanks in advance Greg

Re: Marketing a Mobile home - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 15, 2003 at 20:13:48:

I advertize in the daily newspaper and do much better than in our version of the Thrifty Nickel.
I tend to buy from Thrifty Nickel ads and advertize for my buyers in the bigger daily paper.

I spent $38 dollars for a week of classified ads on a home and got results. I have had to re-word ads, though.

I think bigger ads are better in most cases.

Philip

Re: Marketing a Mobile home - Posted by Tennesee Bob

Posted by Tennesee Bob on September 15, 2003 at 13:09:24:

Greg,
I just ran an ad very similar, it read

No Banks owner finance 0% int. w/down own it in three years, 96 2ba 1 ba, appliances, CH&A call XXX-XXXX

The ad ran out three days ago and I’m still getting calls. Dr Craig is right! Pay the price and try several papers. When people call ask them where they saw the ad. Keep track of which paper generates the most calls. This will help you in the future to decide where to put your advertising money.

Yes, the 2/1 sold quickly for a VERY nice profit.

Good Luck and GOD Bless

Tennessee Bob

The problem isn’t the ad, its YOU. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 15, 2003 at 01:34:52:

The only thing wrong with this ad is that the circulation figures for the Thrifty Nickle in your area are probably far too low for your needs, this time of the year.

I can’t understand why people who are afraid to spend more than $25 per week on advertising for a deal that could bring them a $5,000+ profit, call themselves ‘investors’.

If I had a $5k profit hanging in the balance I wouldn’t be afraid to spend up to 5 times that much per week OR MORE, for a couple of weeks to get it sold quickly.

Your ad will work fine in the Thrifty Nickle if you want to wait for 2-3 months to sell it, but look how much money you will lose in space rent etc., meanwhile.

You are just expecting too much from your present ad source alone.

Try several papers at once and key your ads. I am more agressive. I would try about 500 direct mail ads to nearby apartment buildings. It should be a winner because the ad recipients have already been prescreened for credit, references, and income. They are prequalified. Apt. dwellers often feel cramped and would like to have a little more room and noone living on top of them, and no stairs to climb. And would yuou believe, some don’t even like the apt. manager? If your mobile is in a park that doesn’t allow children, then target an apt. complex with similar restrictions. If you need a buyer go steal one somewhere.

The problem isn’t with your ad, it is with YOU. You just made a poor management decision. You aren’t spending enough on advertising, and you are hoping to just sit back and have people to come to you, so-to-speak. Get off your duff and go GET a buyer. This is YOUR money we are talking about Greg. Get mad and fight for it. You need to make a MUCH more intensive effort rather than just sitting back and waiting for your phone to ring on one small ad, if it isn’t producing well.

Small ad budgets are for small deals. Yours is a big deal. Spend a proportionately bigger amount of money on advertising. It won’t cost you a penny more because you will sell your mobile sooner and you will save a couple of months space rent in the process, if you advertise more intensively. Get together with your mobile, give it a hug, and have some intense moments together.

I’ve been hearing similar complaints from many posters for years. What makes ANY of you think that there is one “silver bullit” ad that will make you all rich and famous by next Wednesday?

You’re looking for love in all of the wrong places and it just isn’t there. Your ads are fine, your stingeness isn’t. There is a solution but you are looking in the wrong place for it. The solution is in more advertising budget, and in a more proactive gung-ho campaign to go out and GET buyers instead of just waiting and hoping they find you, eventually.

SLOW TURNOVER is a bigger alligator than a bigger ad budget.

If it won’t cost any more, WHAT is holding you back?

Regards, doc

Re: Marketing a Mobile home - Posted by jowns

Posted by jowns on September 14, 2003 at 22:30:43:

try leaving out the terms and just leave will finance. It sounds like a good deal but they might think its to good to be true. 0% for a person with shakey credit “thats a great deal for them”. If that does not work in a week try a different ad