Marketing Suggestions? - Posted by drew

Posted by drew on June 07, 1999 at 22:08:27:

John,
Thanks for the response. The reason I was asking is because I have a somewhat captive audience in a co-op community (townhomes, not like a co-op building) nearby. Whenever anyone wants to buy or sell they get a package from the co-op board filled with info. Many sell by FSBO and I’m trying to get a flyer included in the buying and selling packages that the board hands out.

I’m also trying to do a quick, one page flyer to drop of with the local realtors and send to them occasionally as a subtle reminder.

Thanks again for all of you time and knowledge. I’m sincerely disappointed that I can’t make it to the class in July. Guess I’ll have to watch my tapes each night (again!) instead.

-drew

Marketing Suggestions? - Posted by drew

Posted by drew on June 07, 1999 at 12:51:46:

John and other Cash Flow Crusaders:

I’ve developed a marketing plan and now I’m looking for some materials (flyers/brochures for sellers, agents, etc.) to send out at the beginning of my marketing blitz. With the help of some highly sophisticated creative plagarism skills that I acquired in high school, I’ve drafted a couple of mediocre flyers. Surely others have done much better. Any idea where I can get my hands on some sharp maketing materials?

Also, during one of my searches I stumbled upon “How to find all the notes you’d ever want to buy” (or something like that) by Walters. Any feedback on this book?

Thanks for your help and I’ll see you in the chat room tonight!

-drew

P.S. YES, I do have the video course and am leafing through the Paper Game to get some ideas. Just thought I’d ask the experts if they’ve found any neat, pre-packaged stuff.

Re: Marketing Suggestions? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on June 07, 1999 at 19:33:48:

I think I saw Walter’s materials years ago and it does have some nice “pre-packaged” pieces that might be helpful.

I have a very different philosophy. I do not do mass mailings and marketings to all note holders. My early experience with it was that it was very low “yield” in results. Also, there are thousands of un-successful note brokers out there that have tried and failed.

To me it is like trying to buy real estate. Would you just walk out your door and start knocking on the doors of every real estate owner? No. You would at least try to look for someone that wanted to sell. Would you send a mailer to every property listed on the MLS? No. You would ideally look for someone that wanted to sell, needed to sell and was either very anxious, creative or flexible - the DON’T WANTER.

I look for notes the same way. I ideally want to buy notes from people who have decided to sell, have an anxious need (need cash), a problem (note’s delinquent), are flexible (partials), etc. The DON’T WANTER of notes.

No reflection on Lloyd or his materials, as I mentioned, I only glanced at them. I think he wanted me to market them and I declined because of the philosophy behind them that I just explained. He may have a great deal of experience and success. I don’t know. What I do know is that most people that teach you to send out mailers or go to the County Recorder’s office do so because they have little if any real experience. It sounds good, but does not translate “From the Podium to the Pavement”. It is a source of notes and I have met a few people that I believe have had some success. Most that claim to have had success are trying to sell a mailing list or a course. Lloyd may be one that has had some good results, but in general you should focus on Realtors, networking, well designed classified ads, and other in-expensive forms of advertising. Think “Guerrilla Marketing for Notes”. Read the book “Positioning” by Al Ries and Jack Trout if you haven’t yet.