measuring a roof - Posted by DavidV

Posted by Scott(AK) on December 23, 1998 at 03:08:50:

Jerry,

Nice class…see you on “This Old House”

Scott

measuring a roof - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on December 22, 1998 at 16:37:36:

I’ve got two estimates so far on replacing a roof…one at 27 squares and one at 33 squares. This is just a basic hip roof and i called them back and they both stand by their measurements. Can anyone point me to a site that gives instructions on measuring a hip roof?

Re: measuring a roof - Posted by Jerry Greer

Posted by Jerry Greer on December 22, 1998 at 20:25:40:

David, Accually it is not really that difficult.
What you do is on the end of the house you measure the length of the roof at the soffit. then you measure from the bottom up to where it peaks. Width x Height divided by 2 = area. Do you same on the other end. Then in the front and back you break it down into 3 parts. Then center is from one end of the peak to the other. length x width = area. Then on the 2 ends of the front and back you use the same method as I mention in the beginning. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.
Now that I am finished with that let me tell you where you might find the difference in these two estimates. When you count the shingles that will cover the peak on a hip you can imagine that there are quite a few more than on a regular roof. (lots more peak). One of these contractors may have not calculated enough shingles for the peak. 5 sqare difference is quite a bit though.
Good Luck.
Jerry Greer
Greer Construction
Middletown, Oh