Mechanics Lien & Judgements - Posted by Jon B

Posted by Bob in GA on September 10, 2003 at 21:31:00:

Interesting, I’d like to see comments on this as well. I know there is a course on it, but I’ve never seen anything posted. Have you checked the archives?
Bob

Mechanics Lien & Judgements - Posted by Jon B

Posted by Jon B on June 28, 2003 at 23:41:46:

Hi I was wondering if I could get everyones advice & opinion on Mechanics Liens & the Pro’s & Con’s if possible. Also With one of these liens I was wondering if I bought one cheap could I actually go to small claims court & garnish wages & seize bank accounts if I own the lien & the owner refuses to pay? Would this be possible? Thank you all for your time & please reply has soon has you can if you wouldnt mind giving some advice. Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

A1C Jon B

Don’t lien on me. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 20, 2003 at 14:14:57:

Bob, in CA the remedy for non-payment of the debts that underlie mechanic’s liens is not to go to small claims court and garnish wages etc. after getting a judgment. .

The mechanics lien is a lien against the real property and it can be foreclosed, just like a bank would foreclose if you didn’t make your payments to them.

I think you would be better off going against the real estate in most (but not all) cases.

For more information see “Mechanic’s Liens” by Nolo Press, if you can still get a copy. I think it sell for about $39.95.

A super course on investing in mechanic’s liens is one by Joe Kaiser, and is available on this website. I have a copy and it is very highly recommended. Joe holds your hand and walks you throuth the whole process of buying these liens at a discount and he shows you how to collect them. He will also teach you which mechanics are likely to be the most profitable and which aren’t. He gives you the forms you need on his custom made floppy disk. In this business, Joe’s cutting edge course is THE place to start.

Regards, doc