MH Auction - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on May 10, 2000 at 07:38:29:

Hi Roy,

Wind zone II means that the MH must be constructed to withstand winds up to 100 MPH. Zone III, 110 MPH. And the location of the home determines which zone is required. Usually, the only time you have to be concerned with this requirement is when the home is being setup. Homes that are already on the lots are grandfathered in, and nothing is said.

The data sheet that’s placed in the home at the time of construction will display what zone it conforms to. This is normally a 8 x 11 info sheet on the home which is glued to the inside of a cabinet, or closet. If you move and reset a home, this data sheet must be available to the inspector to show that it meets zone requirements. If it’s missing, (as in many older homes) you may have to install storm windows, and also have several tie down straps over the top of the home to bring the home up to code, in order for the home to pass inspection.

As for insurance, I’ve never had a question about wind zones. It just has to be setup in accordance with City codes.

Hope this helps,

Lonnie

MH Auction - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on May 08, 2000 at 19:59:11:

Miles Auction Co. is having a MH auction in Lumberton, NC on May 20, 11AM. They have 108 bank repoe’s going up for sale. 41 “New” doublewides, 19 “new” singlewides and 48 “used” homes.

Anyone interested can call them at 704-637-2828. They also have a website at www.manufacturedhousingauctions.com

Happy hunting,

Lonnie

Re: MH Auction - Posted by soapymac

Posted by soapymac on May 09, 2000 at 09:20:08:

Lonnie,

Just went to this site. Looks like some of the offerings are made for “Lonnie Deals.” However, there is a new definition on that site that I did not see in your books, and that is “Wind Zone.”

Recognizing that MH’s are subject to more damage from wind than an SFR, how do I interpret the “Wind Zone” labeling, how does that affect insurance, and how should that be factored into any financing/sale?

Cordially,
Roy MacLean
“soapymac”