MH "blue book"? - Posted by Alice (AZ)

Posted by Jacob on January 13, 2000 at 23:39:53:

At the risk of beginning another debate, I will answer your question. There is a guide like what you are looking for. It’s called the NADA guide and avalible at www.nadaguides.com. I will not say another word about the merits of using it, but it is availible.
Good Luck,
Jacob

MH “blue book”? - Posted by Alice (AZ)

Posted by Alice (AZ) on January 13, 2000 at 21:54:07:

Is there a “blue book” for mobile homes? Not necessarily called a blue book, but a book on that order which will show how to arrive at a value.

Re: MH “blue book”? - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on January 14, 2000 at 04:08:58:

Alice,

Dirk & Jacob are both correct- depending on what you are doing. If you are doing classic Lonnie deals (and in any event), you must know the market, for it will deviate from the blue book. If you intend to “cash out” (i.e.- get Greentree to finance the home for your buyer), you should check a blue book, because the lenders care what’s in it. In any event, buy at a price far below market AND blue book and resell at market or blue book, depending on whether you intend to carry or cash out. I do both, and the goals are not mutually exclusive.

John Hyre

There is, however… - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on January 14, 2000 at 24:59:01:

Hi Alice,
Jacob is correct there is a “blue-book” for mobile homes. Personally I feel though that using it for the traditional Lonnie Method of buying and selling mobiles (owner financed) can give a someone new to that particular game, a skewed perception of market value.
One of the biggest obstacles in the classic Lonnie deal is insecurities. It can be hard to get “out in the trenches” so to speak. I guess it is because folks are intimidated by what they don’t know, or really they don’t want to “taint” a particular park by going in and asking a lot of questions.
Being that as it may, in my experience it is paramount for optimum success in Lonnie Deals that you do just that. Get out into the parks IN PERSON. Talk to the folks. People in the park and the Park Manager. Ask what homes are selling for. Ask about the park, the management etc.
Everything you absorb will be important keys in helping you determine what you can sell these homes for.
Values unfortunately are not consistent, and will vary from deal to deal and scenario to scenario.

Also if you are planning to reap the rewards that Lonnie Deals and Mobile Home investing have to offer I would suggest picking up his (Lonnie Scruggs’s Materials) as they easily explain the in’s and out’s of this business.

Good Luck and I hope that this helps.
Dirk