mh condo lots - Posted by Christine Karas

Posted by Ernest Tew on May 09, 2000 at 09:35:38:

It’s always a good idea to have a contingency in your offers, provided the seller will go along with it. Certainly, when a condominium association places restrictions on what you can do with the property you buy, you need to know what those restrictions are before finalizing the transaction.

I’m not sure that you would have an automatic three day right to cancel the agreement

mh condo lots - Posted by Christine Karas

Posted by Christine Karas on May 07, 2000 at 19:23:54:

Has anyone purchased mh condo lots? I would like to control the dirt below my investment and was wondering if the condo associations give you a hard time if you retain title to the land and rent the lot and sell the home. Do they view this as renters and try to restrict this? I know that regular condominiums are starting to restrict rentals in many places and was just curious how anyone does this. Is this a good alternative to buying a park?

Re: mh condo lots - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on May 08, 2000 at 08:14:36:

Hi Christine,

You need to check the Park Association rules and bylaws and see what’s allowed. There are two condo parks in my area, and we own 29 lots in these parks. Even though we own the lots, we still have to follow the park rules regarding tenant/buyers. So it will depend on the rules and regulations of the park.

In my case, there’s been no problem. I sell the home and rent the lot. And I work very closely with the park manager to prevent, and/or eliminate any problems with my tenant/buyer. And even though I pick my tenant/buyer, they are obligated to follow and abide by the park rules. Regardless what kind of park it is, the key is still having a good working relationship with the park manager.

In some ways, owning some of the lots is better than owning the whole park. Since the lots are scattered throughout the park, not many people know I own more than just the one lot they’re renting. If the tenants have any complaints about other tenants, or the way the park is run, I can just tell them to call the manager, it’s out of my hands. The Park Association hires a manager to run the park, so the manager takes the heat from the tenants. It’s the most trouble free rental property I’ve ever dealt in.

Hope this helps,

Lonnie

Re: mh condo lots - Posted by Ernest Tew

Posted by Ernest Tew on May 08, 2000 at 04:51:33:

I would start by asking the people who manage the condominium association what their policy is regarding your proposed rentals. If the answer isn’t favorable, I would look elsewhere because they could give you a hard time. If the answer is favorable, I would then read the condominium documents to be sure that the proposed use is permitted as the managers change periodically. With your own park you wouldn’t have those problems.

Re: mh condo lots - Posted by Christine Karas

Posted by Christine Karas on May 09, 2000 at 24:38:46:

Sounds like a good idea Lonnie of maintaining a low profile with the tenants. I really don’t want them to know that I own anything. I wanted to pretend that I am just an employee and that I will have to check with my higher authority. Thanks for the post.

right of recission - Posted by Christine Karas

Posted by Christine Karas on May 09, 2000 at 24:42:14:

Ernest, I have another question for you. Do you have a right of recission for 3 days as with regular condominiums? Should I make my offers contingent on reading the documents or insist on seeing them beforehand. How would you handle it? Thanks for your help.