MH Dealer license headache - Lonnie deals - Posted by Steve - NJ

Posted by Dirk Roach on April 19, 1999 at 23:50:20:

Hi Steve,
Why not just find someone who has a back room or something which they could rent you out as your office.
A comerical mom and pop business will do and I’m sure that they could use an extra hundred bucks, or maybe even fifty a month.
What I would do, is rent the “office” then just do my thing. Maybe pick up my mail once a week or so.
Hope this Helps,
Dirk

MH Dealer license headache - Lonnie deals - Posted by Steve - NJ

Posted by Steve - NJ on April 19, 1999 at 08:47:17:

Can someone please help with my little problem.
The Div of Motor Vechicle says I need a place of business
where I can keep mobile homes for sale and hang out my business sign. When I told them that I will be buying the homes at the park and then selling it they said I can’t do that. I must have a business location. The problem with this is one of the forms have to be signed by my county zoning board to say my location for business is ok.

It’s catch 22. If I use the post office as a business address the zoning board wil sign the form but the Div of Motor Vehicles will say no go, I must have a real place of business. I can’t use my home because the zoning board will not approve it.

Seem like the state of NJ is trying to tell people how to run a business.

What can I do?

Thanks

Steve

Re: MH Dealer license headache - Lonnie deals - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on April 21, 1999 at 15:41:00:

Steve,

I seem to remember something about Lonnie renting an office on a used car lot. Even though you have no actual mobile homes to display to the public, I understand that many states require you to have the space available, in order to issue a license.

I think that a business phone may also be necessary for your “office”. You can have the phone company set something up so the phone in your office is actually an “extension” of the one in your house.

If you have a requirement to have “regular” business hours, you can post a sign on your office saying you are open “regularly” every Friday from 10a.m. until 11a.m.

A good sized used car lot may be just the ticket! Especially if it is near your home, for those tiresome trips to “work” every Friday.

Good luck,

Brad

Re: MH Dealer license headache - Lonnie deals - Posted by Mike Oldfield

Posted by Mike Oldfield on April 20, 1999 at 24:56:34:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had a lot of experience with beareucratic stupidity. I am frpm new york.

Work your way up the food chain. That is, go the the immediate supervisor of every idiot you run across at te DMV until someone with judgement magically appears. Eventually you will find someone who is busier than they are dumb. This person has the authority to override the stupidity of their silly requirements. Problem solved.

You are dealing with people who have never been trained to deal with exceptions. This my friend is a waste of time.

Dont be a spoil sport. If you follow my advice aggressively you wont be sorry. This method works for me in New York all the time. Inisist to speak to the supervisor of everyone who resists you politely but firmly ypu will achieve your objective. Document the details of every call along the way. Yhis will always comein handy when you are explaining to the higher ups.

I am sorry to say the renting space from someone else which qualifies is uneconomical, silly and unsound.

Good Luck,

Mike Oldfield

P.S. You may want to contact your state manufactured housing association for assistance also. This may not e the first time this has happened. They have been very helpful to my endeavors once you reach the right person.