MH folks, i've got a problem i think....please help me! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Judy on February 10, 2000 at 15:32:47:

Carey,

Have you though about calling the city’s fire department. They may be able to refer you to someone who will be able to (for a fee) check out the stove and the system.

Hope this helps.

Judy

MH folks, i’ve got a problem i think…please help me! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on February 10, 2000 at 15:11:01:

Hello gang,

I’m about to sell my 2nd mobile home on Saturday. I’ve received $100 to HOLD THE HOME and the buyer will be paying me the rest of the money in cash on saturday.

Here’s the problem: the home doesn’t have any propane tanks and the propane is used to cook. When the woman called a couple of propane places to get some tanks set up they asked her if the gas lines were set up to go to the house…she of course did not know, so she called and asked me. I DO NOT KNOW and i don’t know how to check. But i decided to go look at the stove just “to see” what i was looking to see i don’t know, but the stove is OLD and looks like it probably has never been used and also looks like it wouldn’t work anyway. Only 1 knob would turn and when i turned it, i did smell gas slightly i think. (remember this is only my 2nd one, I’m STILL clueless)

Now, I don’t want to lose this deal because of the stove and gas situation, but I’m not sure what to tell the woman. I mean I don’t know anything about the stove, how much would it cost to put a whole new stove in there, how much would it cost to hook up the gas lines if there aren’t any, how much would it cost to just get an electric stove or some other type of stove, how much would the installation of all that cost??? i don’t know, so i need some advice on what to tell this lady, she’s signing the PARK LEASE AGREEMENT tomorrow and then she’s going to sign things with me on Saturday. I need to tell her about the stove ASAP, because she wants to know about the gas line/situation before Saturday…HELP!!!

thanks everyone for your help and I’ll see you in Atlanta! (yes you heard correctly, i’ll be there this year finally!)

thanks again,

CAREY

You are “too close to the deal” - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on February 11, 2000 at 02:59:19:

Hi Carey,

You certainly have received some excellent advice here. I don’t have any better advice to provide on propane or gas stoves but did want to make a few comments about the transaction of the sale.

If you are using Lonnie’s forms, they specifically state that the home is sold in “As is” condition. I make certain that the buyer understands that. This helps prevent future confusion and has not yet failed.

I have sold several home that the gas company has removed the tanks from. As mentioned, the tanks are rented and when the seller moved out (usually leaving the home vacant for some time before you bought it) the company comes back and reclaims their property.

I explain to the buyer that the tanks have been removed and that they would need to contact the gas company to get them reinstalled and filled. If they ask what company to call, I respond “Well I don’t know who provides the best price in this area, you may want to ask your new neighbors who has the best price”. Just that quickly my headache was gone. The buyers knocked next door and within a few days they had the tanks hooked up.

When we get ourselves wrapped up in the details, we lose sight of our mission. Let them work this problem out. They got the terms they wanted because we sold the home “As Is”. They will find the answer.

If the buyer insists that the deal is contingent upon the stove working (I think you were the one who went this far, not your buyer), then explain that you will help find a used stove for them. You can decide how much or what % you want to pay. I would only do this if this is a deal killer. If you don’t bring it up, I don’t think the stove will even come up.

As for the gas lines. The gas company may think that this lady just bought a new home. Since this is an older home that is already in the park, it is highly likely that the lines are still intact. As mentioned below, that is the gas companies job. I wouldn’t know a gas line from a phone line!

My point here is that you may be making a mistake that we all make. Terry Vaughan put it best. “You are too close to the deal”. He used it in a little different context but I think the phrase still applies. Don’t get too wrapped up in the details of their minor problem. You should react as this is nothing but a typical business transaction. You remain calm and removed from the stress of the problem. You work with the buyer to solve the problem. That is all we do in any of these deals. Just sit back and calmly help them solve the problem. That does not mean we have to go through all the stress for them.

Best Wishes,

Tony-VA

Re: MH folks, i’ve got a problem i think…please help me! - Posted by JohnB_NJ

Posted by JohnB_NJ on February 10, 2000 at 22:01:32:

My question is…How is the MH heated? Does it have a propane furnace? If so, then the lines should be there and then branch off to the stove and hot water heater, if the HW heater is not electric.

Either way, Dirk is right, you can pick up used appliances cheap. I have a rental storage place and I fill that place with appliances I find cheap in the paper and ones I find on the road for trach pick up. When you see a washer and dryer out togethor, you know one of those units works if not both. I load 'em up and fix 'em and use them in my rentals.

Anyway, used stoves aren’t that expensive and shouldn’t kill you deal.

See you in Atlanta and good luck…

-John

Re: MH folks, i’ve got a problem i think…please help me! - Posted by Jeff (believe or not, a gas man too!)

Posted by Jeff (believe or not, a gas man too!) on February 10, 2000 at 21:36:10:

When I install tanks in mobile home parks, it is up the the renter/owner to pay for the install of the gas line and regulator on the mobile home (if needed). Like someone posted before, the rent is usually minimal because when you rent the tank from the company, (at least in my state) the same company is the only one that can fill the tank. (Liability reasons) If there was gas there before, more than likely one of the gas companies will have it on record for the address. The account will be in the renter/owners name so that is the person who needs to talk with the gas company about service. DO NOT get caught in the middle with getting it in your name and setting up some “arrangement” with them on the install and set up. As for the existing line and regulators, let the gas company service man check them out. IF the line is/has not been plugged, little buggies have probably taken refuge in it and could plug the system on one of those cold nights! As for the stove, split the cost or add it into the price or do whatever works out for the deal. Have an installer set it up and do any natural gas to propane conversion that is necessary. (Homeowners and renters try to set them up and we end up going back to do it right after the house fills with fumes.) As for natural gas, if it was installed previous, the meter will already be installed outside the house. If you plan to install it on this home, be careful, sometimes the price is substantial. If you (or anyone) has any questions on propane systems, drop me an email.

P.S.- this is my 2 cents and is NOT, my companies advice in any way, sort, or form. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Re: MH folks, i’ve got a problem i think…please help me! - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on February 10, 2000 at 20:40:26:

Hi Carey,
If this MH is in a park, it most likely is connected to natural gas. However in some older parks, or rural parks propane is mainstay.
I would look around out side of the home and look at the other surrounding homes. If you see gas meters on the sides of the homes, then it’s natural gas. Or more easily simply call up the park manager and find out. Are the mobile homes in the park supplied natural gas or propane. And if so, which company does the park recommend?
Let’s assume we are talking propane, because this is good important information to know regardless.
How propane companies work is they rent you a tank for next to nothing, provided you buy your propane from
them. You call them up set up service and they will come out and install the tank and a “step-down regulator”.
This is their job! They know what they are doing. You (or any other propane layman) do not want to do this (installing the tank and regulator) yourself! It can be dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing!!!
So have the Propane company do it. Also have them check and see if the lines are still there. I’m sure they are if Propane was used before.
I would not call up county inspectors or the fire department to come out and start crawling all of the mobile home.
The reality of doing that is the fire inspectors etc. are not going to come into a park and just look at your mobile home. They are going to start climbing all over the entire park. And when the park has to start shelling out all of this money for upgrades and what have you that You directly were responsible in bringing out into the light. You are going to have headaches. Like getting people into the park etc.

Okay as far the stove is concerned. A good used stove usually runs from anywhere to $50 bucks to $250 bucks. I buy mine at an auction I go to for around $10 bucks. In any event this is defiantly not a deal killer.
So maybe you might want to replace the stove, I do not know. That would be a call that you make. But remember you don’t have to go out and get a top of the line new stove.

Anyhow I hope that helps,
Dirk

Re: MH folks, i’ve got a problem i think…please help me! - Posted by Seve (NY)

Posted by Seve (NY) on February 10, 2000 at 16:41:39:

Carey,

I’m a landlord and have lot’s of gas stoves. It sounds like yours will be more bother then it’s worth to fix.

A new stove will cost around $250 - $350 for a no frils unit. Another $100 to have it delivered and pluged into your existing lines; providing that the gas lines are OK.

Good luck!

-Steve

Ask the park manager. - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on February 10, 2000 at 16:39:40:

He or she may know when the MH last had propane and when it was last used, and where the tank used to sit. They may also know enough about propane stoves to tell you if it will work. The lines should still be there, if the stove needs work the manager should also know a good repairman. After all there are lots of MH’s in the park and they all have propane, this can’t be the first time something like this happened.

Find out where the tank used to sit (probably at the front) and look for the pressure regulator and piping. If you are not sure what it looks like, check out the tank on the neighbor’s unit and see how it is set up.

In any case it is up to the new owner. You should not take responsibility for this. Let them take care of it.

If they complain because the stove needed repair or replacement it is up to you what to do. Did you tell them the stove was good, or give them a guarantee? Or did you sell it “as is” for a low price?

Wait until you see what happens. It may need nothing. If it does need work, and if the buyers complain, you could offer to pay half the repair bill, or part of the cost of a new stove, or whatever you think is fair.