MH Park Development - Posted by Tim

Posted by ScottS(NC) on August 27, 2003 at 11:16:01:

Tim,

The septic tanks would be the limiting factor. Here in NC new leach fields require the room for the field and a “repair” field of equal area. This means here we need slightly more than .5 acres per home for 3bd septic. Which in your case would allow you to put in 20 homes on the 10 acres if the land was all usable and layed out perfectly.

Tim, there is a reason Lonnie,Ray and Ernest always say to find a rehab park rather than develop. The new laws and codes make it extremely expensive to develop a park. To the point of losing money for many years just to reach a break even point. HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

MH Park Development - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on August 27, 2003 at 10:53:33:

This morning I met with a man who has a 1970 12x70 he wants $3K for. Well me being a newbie I was trying to listen to what he was saying. It has to be moved and there are very few places around here that will accept a older than 1990 MH. Okay I think what can I get from this wasted time?
He continues to tell me that he has two 5 acre wooded sites he wants to sell for $58k each. I thanked him and drove home.
At this point in my business I am trying to learn the market here in West Virginia. When I got home the thought came to me that if those 10 acres were developed for MH’s - maybe 200 or so could be put in there at $200/month that is $40,000 a month. Not shabby.
Can anyone venture guesses as to how many MH’s could be put into ten acres(I mean nicely - places where people would want to live) and where could I find the funding for the septic, water and electric? And how much would it cost to do all this work?
Would anyone be interested in funding this?

Re: MH Park Development - Posted by Dan - GA

Posted by Dan - GA on August 28, 2003 at 22:33:18:

Go down to your county Code Enforcement,Zoning or Land Use office and ask for the development requirements for a MHP.

I have a park with 31 pads on 4 acres. That’s 7.75 per acre on average. The county now requires 1/4 acre per home not counting roads, required green space or buffers next to existing structures. If my park were to be built today, I would be lucky to get 12 homes on the four acres.

If you’re on septic, the density goes down to about 1/acre.

Re: MH Park Development - Posted by Tom H

Posted by Tom H on August 28, 2003 at 18:18:57:

Hi Tim

I am also doing “Lonnies” in the northern panhandle of West Virginia whare are you located.