Mice problem - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by David Alexander on December 19, 2000 at 19:32:23:

but I’m ROTFLMAO… even if I couldnt pull the trigger myself.

David Alexander

Mice problem - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on December 18, 2000 at 21:40:53:

Purchased, renovated, and now renting out a 2 family house that sits next to a field. The problem is mice get into the house though holes on the side of the house. At times it seems like there’s a lot of mice around the place. I plan on covering the holes up in the next couple of days. But in the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas. I’m also going to get an exterminator. Thanks

POISON - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on December 19, 2000 at 12:25:03:

I live and own rentals in a rural area. The field mice invade homes each year when the crops are harvested and the temperature turns cold. I put out the little boxes of mouse/rat poison under and inside the homes. In mobile homes especially. Don’t forget under cabinets, behind hotwater heaters even attics. It really works and all of my tenants are instructed to do the same each October.

Nancy

Re: Mice problem - Posted by Rodney

Posted by Rodney on December 19, 2000 at 24:51:26:

IB.

Sounds to me like these mice have you more frustrated than:

“Ray Charles at an Easter Egg Hunt”

Man…Get a Grip.

Rodney

Re: Mice problem - Posted by Mike-BC

Posted by Mike-BC on December 19, 2000 at 24:15:37:

I have this cabin on a lake about 3 hours drive from my home. Every fall I winterize the cabin as I do not use it for the next 7 months. Part of the winterizing includes putting out mothballs.

My experiences has been that the mothballs have kept out more than just moths. I have had no problems with mice or other rodents. In additon, I have had no problems with insects such as ants and termites.

This was kind of a long winded way to suggest placing mothballs in the holes in the walls.

Mike

Re: Mice problem - Posted by DaveNJ

Posted by DaveNJ on December 18, 2000 at 22:52:21:

There are sonic devices which drive mice, rats, and squirrels out of a home. If you exterminate with chemicals or poison, the mice will die inside the house somewhere. Not too nice. Traps are gruesome and cruel. Try the sonic devices first. They’re probably cheaper than an exterminator anyway.

Re: POISON - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on December 19, 2000 at 20:15:12:

I used to poison the li’l darlin’s.

Then one time one died inside the wall, and I didn’t know exactly where. I tore out some drywall hunting, but finally gave it up. For about 3 weeks we burned A LOT of incense.

Now, I just trap 'em.

BTW…I found that mouse about 3 years later. It had died under the dishwasher, and I found it when I pulled the dishwasher to replace it.

Any sonic devices that work on racoons? NT - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on December 19, 2000 at 05:42:45:

ntxt

great story, Jim - Posted by Anne-ND

Posted by Anne-ND on December 20, 2000 at 08:21:57:

We just had an exterminator de-mouse and de-pigeon our latest fixer-upper. He used poison food all over the place to get rid of the mice, said it was supposed to make them leave the area, but it’s -60 outside and about 50 inside, so they came back. We find a few more corpses every day, but since we plan to tear out many walls we’re not too worried about corpses in the walls (the house is vacant at the moment).

What we ARE worried about are the frig and the chest freezer, both of which are taped shut and unplugged. We can’t get them out of the house without removing their doors. My vote is to remove the frame around the front door and open them outside where the cold air will mitigate the smell. ugh.

Anne

Try this… - Posted by Glenn-PA

Posted by Glenn-PA on December 19, 2000 at 17:49:51:

A sonic boom delivered by a standard 12 gauge shotgun will immediately rid you of your racoon problem.

Re: Any sonic devices that work on racoons? NT - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on December 19, 2000 at 14:14:41:

I have heard of the exterminators putting fox urine in the attic of a house to get squirrels and raccoons out. They smell a natural predator.

Re: Any sonic devices that work on racoons? NT - Posted by DaveNJ

Posted by DaveNJ on December 19, 2000 at 13:15:40:

I’m pretty sure the sonic devices I mentioned work on racoons too.