mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Todd W(CO)

Posted by Dewey on October 25, 2000 at 10:25:28:

Sick that day? I must have been sick at least a week, possibly a whole month. Thanks for straighten me out.

mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Todd W(CO)

Posted by Todd W(CO) on October 23, 2000 at 07:15:42:

I am not sure how this will turn out on the screen as it does by ear, but here goes…
Three men decide to rent a Hotel room. They go to the front desk and ask the man at the counter how much it will cost. The man replies that it will cost 30 dollers.
The men talk it over and decide to pay 10 dollers each. After the men go to there room the clerk at the front desk realizes he has over charged the three men, instead of 30 dollers he should have charged them 25. He then instructs the bell hop to return the 5 dollors to the room and spit it between the three men. On the way the bell hop thinks of a way to split up the money three ways, and decides to give each man a dollor and keep two for himself. The three men recieve there money and thus have actually only spent 9 dollors each for a total of 27 dollers( 9x3 = 27 )

Here is the question. if the men spent 27 dollors on the room and the bell hop kept 2 dollors wich = 29 …where is the other doller???
please respond in good humor…sorry for the long story
Todd W

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on October 23, 2000 at 20:41:34:

Make up your mind, is it doller or dollor?

Besides that, the whole issue of the three dollars has to do with a gross misunderstanding. The real story (I know because I was there) is that the desk clerk, upon seeing the three men checking into the same room, made a snide comment behind their backs regarding their being as ?um??unusual? as a three-dollar bill. At that, the bellhop, being suspiciously high in the pinky-finger himself, went up to the room and told the three what the desk clerk had said. They all then chipped in and gave the bell hop $5.00 tip for the information and returned to the front desk and beat the clerk to a pulp, taking turns whacking him with their purses.

So, the conundrum is: If the three men paid $10.00 each for their room and then gave the bell hop $5.00, should the bell hop split the $5.00 with the desk clerk or just go out for another Mocha Latte while desk clerk sleeps.

These are sensitive issues. You really have to have your facts right before you post.

Bill

You can’t do that here !!! : ) NT - Posted by Kevin in Okla

Posted by Kevin in Okla on October 23, 2000 at 17:54:29:

NT

Thanks all!!! good response - Posted by Todd W (co)

Posted by Todd W (co) on October 23, 2000 at 14:32:51:

I love it…I laughed my A$$ off for ten minutes. The puzzle works better when spoken, so the numbers are not seen. Try it on your friends. maybe I will post more of these if you all dont mind. get the creative juices flowing
Todd W (CO)

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on October 23, 2000 at 09:32:16:

What other dollar?? Sorry to bust your bubble but there IS no other dollar!

Everyone who reads this tries to add up the numbers to make 30 but that’s incorrect. As soon as the Hotel decides to return $5, the number 30 becomes irrelevant. The number 25 now becomes relevant.

So, the Hotel actually collected $25 and the bellboy collected $2 and the men were out $27 - all squared away. There is no other dollar.

Sheik

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Dewey

Posted by Dewey on October 23, 2000 at 09:13:24:

Great puzzle.

Here is the way the numbers really work:
$30 Room divided by 3 men = $10 each
Refund of 5 dollars divided by 3 men equals $1.66 each. Each man has $8.33 now in the room. The bellhop gives each man $1 back, bringing their total to $9.33 each, not $9. The bellhop steals $2 total or $.67 from each of the three men. Each man has $9.33 in the room plus the $.67 stolen for a total of $10.00

Thanks for the puzzle

The 3 guys have it!!! - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on October 23, 2000 at 09:04:32:

If their room was $25, divided by 3 that comes to about $8.33 cents. The bellhop gave them too much change.

Or, the three men earned a yield for letting the clerk use their money!!!

:slight_smile:
George(OH)

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Brad

Posted by Brad on October 23, 2000 at 09:03:08:

They spent $28., not $27. 30 bucks for room. 5 buck discount (25). Collected 3 bucks. 25 + 3 = 28. Bellboy had 2.

nice answer - Posted by Todd W(CO)

Posted by Todd W(CO) on October 24, 2000 at 11:12:56:

Sorry about the spelling error, sometimes I am in a hurry and dont stop to check it. I like your explination of this matter, all except one thing. You said you were there, one of the three men??? (Laughter)
have a good day and make lots of DOLLURRRS
Todd Williamson

ROFLMAO (nt) - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on October 24, 2000 at 09:55:29:

nt

why not - Posted by Todd W(CO)

Posted by Todd W(CO) on October 23, 2000 at 18:32:26:

Why not Kevin, we all have to do it somewhere…
he he
(smile)
Todd Williamson

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Dewey

Posted by Dewey on October 23, 2000 at 13:33:53:

The number thirty is completely relevant.

Originally:

$30 Room / 3 men = $10 each in the room

Refund:
$30 room ($10 Each) - 5 refund (1.67 Each) = $8.33 each into the room.

They each get one dollar back from the bellhop (8.33 each plus $1= $9.33 each.)
$9.33 each X 3 = $28 dollars into the room, NOT $27.
$28 plus the two dollars the bellhop stole = $30

Re: I think one of our potential President… - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on October 23, 2000 at 09:35:39:

…refers to this as Fuzzy Math :wink:

Voodoo Economics 101… - Posted by George(OH)

Posted by George(OH) on October 23, 2000 at 09:24:40:

I’m confused - did your example give the guys a refund twice?

I like it!!!(nt) - Posted by ToddW(CO)

Posted by ToddW(CO) on October 23, 2000 at 14:25:16:

nt

Re: mind bender to start your day (long) - Posted by Dale Renworth

Posted by Dale Renworth on October 25, 2000 at 01:25:50:

They spent $27 $25 for romm and $2 tip = $27

They each spent $9. Why complicate it?

Sheik was right!

This mind bender is an oldie. All you pros should have picked up on the “misstatement” immediatley.

For those of you who don’t get it yet – The men spent a TOTAL of $27 ($9 ea) The bell hop got $2 of the $27. $27 - $2 = $25 (cost of room). $25 + $5 = $30 (room plus overcharge).

Once the bell hop gave back $3 the TOTAL was $27 INCLUDING the $2 the bell hop kept. Before the $3 was given back the total was $30. $30 - $3 - $2 = $25. Please note that 2+3=5.

The problem a lot of people in RE have is insisting that (9x3)+2 = 30. The guy who can ask the RIGHT QUESTION is going to prosper.

Hey!! - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on October 24, 2000 at 11:50:05:

I was the desk clerk!

'Meanest d** bunch of sissies I EVER saw!

b

Dewey, you must have been sick that day . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on October 23, 2000 at 14:04:20:

Sheik’s answer was exactly right.

If you each pay ten, and then you each get a dollar back, you’ve each paid 9 dollars, or a total of $27. Of that, $25 went to the room and $2 went to the bellhop.

Joe

Re: Voodoo Economics 101… - Posted by Dewey

Posted by Dewey on October 23, 2000 at 13:23:36:

My example didn’t give a refund twice.
Let me explain it this way: The manager refunded five dollars to the three men. They were each entitled to a $1.67 refund, but the bellhop stole the $.67 from each of them. So the three men received a refund of $1.67 minus $.67 that the bellhop stole equals their one dollar returned to them.

Basically, the five dollar refunded must be taken into consideration first. They never had $9 into the deal. When the $5 refund is given, the men had $8.33 into the room, not $9.00.

Right?