MLS - Does anyone use it for prospecting or compare market prices? If so, how do you get access? - Posted by Scott

Posted by Randy -IL- on April 02, 1999 at 10:08:32:

I have MLS access. I happen to be an appraiser, although it is not neccessary. All you need in my area is the dough to pay the membership dues.

You might refrain from telling them that you are an investor though. Most realtors I know get really skiddish when people mention “investor”. If they need you to tell them why you want access you may tell them you are working toward your appraisal license and want to get a head start. Take a course once a year and you won’t be fibbing to them. Besides that, the courses are good for you.

First and foremost, call your local Board of Realtors and ask. The worst they can say is no.

Talk to your favorite realtor buddy at a “small not very busy” office and ask to surf the listings one day while they have office duty. You never know, they might just agree. Thats what I did before I joined the board.

Many offices keep hard copies of the MLS listings. Offer your broker bud some bucks for copy machine usage. After all, if they make even one sale from you, their cooperation will be well worth it to them.

Just some ideas,
Randy

MLS - Does anyone use it for prospecting or compare market prices? If so, how do you get access? - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on April 02, 1999 at 09:52:03:

MLS - Does anyone use it for prospecting or compare market prices? If so, how do you get access?

Do you pay a realtor or appraiser for access?

Scott

Re: MLS - Does anyone use it for prospecting or compare market prices? If so, how do you get access? - Posted by Bruce_AR

Posted by Bruce_AR on April 02, 1999 at 21:23:12:

I have a deal with a local realtor that basically says “I do the buying and Selling and she does the paperwork”. We’ve agreed on her fees for listed vs unlisted properties and reduced rates on simultaneous/double closings.
I have asked for, and gotten MLS listings for various areas with differing criteria (e.g. listed over 6 mos., under $25K, etc.)
Find a REALTOR and ask - whatya gotta lose?