MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by Julie Cadman

Posted by George(OH) on December 27, 1999 at 18:47:18:

nt

MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by Julie Cadman

Posted by Julie Cadman on December 26, 1999 at 20:34:20:

I am a beginner in the real estate investing field, and I am trying to learn as much as possible before going out and acting on it. Right now I am trying to find out how I can access the MLS system, but have been told that it is not available in my area (western Michigan), and that I would not be able to access it anyway, since I am not a real estate agent. I have also learned that if I were to become a real estate agent, even just for the MLS system, I would have to disclose the true value of the property to the sellers, along with my offer. I am considering getting my real estate license, so that I could access the MLS system, and have my husband be the one that actually talks with the sellers. I really don’t know what else to do, so I am turning to you for help. Any information that you have would be very helpful. Thanks.

Re: MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by george

Posted by george on December 30, 1999 at 16:45:29:

As I see it realtors have two edges that others do not have. If Realtors did not have these advantages why would you become a Realtor? Can you name any other advantages?

1. They have a relationship with HUD that allows them a 6% discount + access to hud homes
  2. They have access to the MLS.

Note: You currently have to pay alot of money for a Level II screen, maybe Realtors should charge to get onto MLS. Police and Teachers have wangled an even bigger discount from HUD.

Re: MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by Kenneth N. Simmons

Posted by Kenneth N. Simmons on December 27, 1999 at 18:54:50:

You can locate the MLS listings in your area by going to www.hud.gov. Browse through this area and you will find Realtor Net. I stumbled onto accidently.

Re: MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 26, 1999 at 22:04:04:

The MLS is owned by the local board of Realtors so you would have to be a member to get access to it. Some associations have “affiliate members” that don’t need a license, you might look into that.

As for disclosing the “true value” of a property. What is true value??? Simply an opinion. Ask 5 educated, licensed appraisers what a house is worth and you will get 5 different answers. Maybe there is some obscure Michigan law on this subject, but I doubt it.

Re: MLS System??? Beginner needs help - Posted by tb

Posted by tb on December 27, 1999 at 20:49:35:

Hi Kenneth,

I went to www.hud.gov and could not find “Realtor Net”. Could you be more specific as to where it is on the HUD site?

Thanks!

tb

affiliate membership - Posted by Chris (FL)

Posted by Chris (FL) on December 27, 1999 at 18:21:13:

I asked and asked many a time about this - seems like one must be an appraiser or principal of a title co. to get an affiliate membership. I was told it is the same in the whole state of FL. Is there a way around this?

Now I don’t mean to go off on a rant here , but why is it that I can get level ll NASDAQ and/or get timely info from a myriad of sources on just about any stock in the whole world , 24/7 , from the liquid down to the most thinly traded , but I have to go through layers of ( quite often ) incompetence to find out about the listed props in my area?

The realtors stranglehold on this information is an anathema on all those who value the ease of access of all types of information here in this e-decade. … Realtor.com is a joke - no addresses - what am I supposed to do with that?

Working w/a buyers broker is fine , but it should compliment my ability to filter through the MLS data out there. I also know that as time goes on and I get my name out there in earnest ; deals will find me , so to speak. It’s just the whole principal of this thing and the warm reception I get when I try to find out about things like affiliate memberships that get my goat… I know the realtors lobby inside the iron beltway is strong , but perhaps one day we’ll have a little glastnos … or is it peristroika ?

Re: affiliate membership - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 27, 1999 at 20:59:09:

I have a broker’s license, so I don’t know the details of affiliate membership. Each local association is different. A friend of mine in Ft. Lauderdale got an affiliate membership with her board of Realtors and she is not a broker or appraiser, she is only a RE investor. Call your board and ask, all they can do is say “No.”