MN without title - Posted by Jan

Posted by Steve-WA on September 04, 2003 at 09:56:47:

ask your local title office (DMV, DOL, whatever)

It is different everywhere - no offense intended, but you do not roll this business off of your Internet time, you see, meet, talk, ask. It’s a people business.

MN without title - Posted by Jan

Posted by Jan on September 03, 2003 at 19:31:06:

I have an opportunity to buy a MH without a title for $500. How do I go about getting a title to be able to resell ?

Why do you need a title anyway? - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 04, 2003 at 12:00:24:

Besides if the seller is only asking $500 for it, I would remind him of all of the red tape and legal problems they might have selling it with no title, as well as the high costs of moving and disposal if no title can be obtained. Then I would say, “we usually charge about $500 to remove old mobiles, especially if there is no title”. I’d offer to take it (for free) if they want to just get rid of it. You might save yourself $500 for a minutes work, negotiating, especially if it is taking up space in a park and not bringing in any rent. Of course this won’t work unless its a pull-out.

You can usually advertize and sell pull-outs right there from the park if you have about a month’s time to work with. Let the buyer have the pleasure of paying the moving costs. KISS

In most areas you can do a simple lien sale just like for a car with no title. You can check with your DMV or other agency that handles mobile home titling for advice on how to do it or just ask any big mobile home park manager how it is done. They usually know. If it is in a park just don’t ask the manager of THAT park.

You can often get by OK without a title, even if you are going to resell it. Sell it cheap and let the next guy worry about the title. I’ve resold lots of old pull-outs like this with no title and never had a problem. If you can make a quick profit of $500-$1,000 (in cash), just do it and move on to your next deal.

If it is a nice mobile home in a park and you want to leave it there, remember that it may take you several months to get a new title and the space rent clock will be ticking. Also check for back taxes, if any, that may be owing on it. If I wanted to leave it in a park, I would try to negotiate a deal with the park manager that called for no space rent until you receive your title.

I still say that a quick cash sale that gives you a modest profit, with no title, is probably the best way to go.

Regards, doc