mobil home question? - Posted by d.newton

Posted by rod on April 14, 1999 at 21:09:42:

I’ve never been to an auction like this but given the info you gave there’s a couple of things I would do now. (1) Find available lots and their cost.
(2) Find some interested mobile buyers.
In Va. the average cost to move and setup a home is around 500.00 or higher depending on how far you have to move it. There’s a lot of possibilities here so do your homework.

mobil home question? - Posted by d.newton

Posted by d.newton on April 14, 1999 at 19:33:59:

I am going to a mobil home auction soon, I understand the homes are bought at the auction and must be moved in a month after auction, does anyone have experience with these auctions are they really worth going to and how expensive is it to move the homes to a park? The one thing that caught my eye was that they must be sold that day regardless how many people show up.

Re: mobil home question? - Posted by D.newton

Posted by D.newton on April 15, 1999 at 17:04:06:

Thank you for all the information, you guys are a big help.

Re: mobil home question? - Posted by Dan (NC)

Posted by Dan (NC) on April 15, 1999 at 06:17:59:

My experience with auctions is that you get a lot of people bidding up the price on the junkers. The
last one I was at had older homes selling for twice what I could find them for from private sellers.
That said, you might pick up a decent buy on a newer, more expensive home - not as many buyers going after them. But these aren’t Lonnie deals - you probably would want to get GreenTree to finance these so you get out of the deal quickly. In Raleigh it costs 2K or more to move and set up a home, after all the hook-ups, inspections, etc. (not including skirting). Unless you’re moving them to your own land, you’re going to
be much happier and better off finding them already set up in parks. Good Luck.

Re: mobil home question? - Posted by Bill OK

Posted by Bill OK on April 14, 1999 at 21:11:51:

First not every home can go to just any park. Some are to old, some are not in the best condition. All parks have different rules. It cost me to have one moved less than 50 miles about $400 plus then you must have it leveled and blocked. Then attached to the utilities. Possible another $500. Then it must be skirted. On a 14x80 the new skirt cost about $300. Now who will do the work? I move 60% of the home I buy. The reason is that they go on my lots. In the beginning I would not buy homes at auction. There is just to many unknowns. If you have several MH’s purchases under your belt this would be OK.