Mobile Home ceiling repair - Posted by Dennie

Posted by Greg Meade on September 25, 2003 at 19:45:01:

mobile home repair stores. In FL Tri-state or Surplus Shop. They come in 16" and 24" X 16’ and cost 13-15 per panel. They are stapled at the framing and molding with rossettes used to hide the joints. Some 80’s models (palm harbor, oakwood, champions) use actual 3/8 drywall and that is secured with rosettes and flat molding also!On the butt ends, center molding in the middle joint and cove (or flat) molding at walls will cover the ends. Check the entire roof out b4 you buy…d/w can be spendy to re-roof. good luck!

Mobile Home ceiling repair - Posted by Dennie

Posted by Dennie on September 25, 2003 at 17:15:08:

I have bought several mobile homes and sold them on terms. I have just discovered an 80’s model three bed two bath double wide that I can obtain for less than $500. It needs paint, carpet and several sections of the ceiling has water damge and the ceiling is down by two or three inches. I know how to repair everything except the ceiling. I have both of Lonnie’s books but don’t see any detail on this problem. I have also searched the archives with no results.

Can anyone tell me how to repair this ceiling? I just want to make certain that this is reasonably repairable before I buy it.

Jerry Freeman’s Technique - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on September 25, 2003 at 21:21:20:

Good ole Jerry told me a secret to repairing the sagging ceilings. My mobile home repairman uses the same technique.

Spray the drooping ceiling with water (just get it damp). Using a 2x4 with a piece of plywood attached to the top to form a “T”, brace the ceiling panel gently back into place. Let the ceiling dry with the “T” in place.

In essence you are reversing what caused the drooping in the first place.

Paint the water stain later with Kilz.

Tony