Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by scott

Posted by Scott on May 10, 1999 at 15:33:15:

Yes, they can stay in the park. Lot rent $100. The owner doesn’t mind at all if I rent them or sell them.

I’ll let you know how it goes…

Scott

Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by scott

Posted by scott on May 10, 1999 at 13:24:11:

I’ve located tons of great MH’s deals… Here’s one I need help with.

Seller has (2) 1970’s MH in his park. Both need roof repair beside that… I can get them for a few hundreds dollars… with a coat of paint… I’m rolling…

QUESTION:

What’s everyone’s experience in repairing the roofs of MH’s??

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by Rodney (AZ)

Posted by Rodney (AZ) on May 11, 1999 at 23:33:18:

I had one of my homes done for $160. ($60 for a 5 gallon bucket of “Kool Seal” and $100 labor.) Not a big deal. I, too, was apprehensive about it because I didn’t have any knowledge of what was required. Stumbled across a young lady on the roof of another home in “my” park and asked her what she was doing. Long story short, I paid her to do mine! Easiest part of most MH prep, in my opinion.

Rodney

Re: Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by DougO(NM)

Posted by DougO(NM) on May 10, 1999 at 19:35:20:

I just had a sprayed foam roof installed on a 1973 model we sold. It was not cheap, about $2,600, but then again, we still made quite abit on this home, it it is staying in our community so we don’t want any problems in case we have to take it back and sell it again. It looks like a pretty good way to go, it replaced a very expensive rubber/membrane roof that was on it when I bought it that fell to pieces. Sometimes you can get by with a couple of 5 gallon cans of roof coat, which should run you about $75 or so.

Doug

Re: Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on May 10, 1999 at 16:36:17:

sell the homes “as is, where is” and get on with life.
There are many people that can do their own work in exchange for a lower price, better terms, etc. Just don’t let them move in until the project is completed. Get the down payment, give them 15-30 days to complete the work, and when your finanl inspection is finished, let the buyer move in.

David S

Re: Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on May 10, 1999 at 14:34:12:

Can they stay in the park? If so talk to handyman type people and find out how much it’ll cost to get it done.
never had to fix or seal one, so I don’t what you should expect. But, if you ask several different people you bound to start getting a feel for what it costs. As far as painting goes, I can get one painted in my area for about 125 if I supply the paint, paint costs about 50-70 bucks. I would have pricing and then concentrate on finding the buyer, raise the price a little, that way you have room to come down a little for them fixing it. Sell it AS IS, if you do this. Don’t say your going to do something and then let them move in, It makes lot harder to get done, and their memory gets short about how long you said and things get added. I know this from experience. Even if you had to get a down payment from someone to fix the the stuff and delay them from moving in till they accept it in AS IS condition. Sound like you have a great deal in the works.

David Alexander

Re: Mobile Home Gurus: Can you help me with repair questions?? - Posted by Dan (NC)

Posted by Dan (NC) on May 10, 1999 at 14:26:48:

What’s wrong with the roof? A simple coat of Kool Seal is pretty inexpensive. You can hire someone to do it for about $150, or do it yourself for $50. Just make sure they clean up afterward - if it drips down the sides and solidifies, it’s tough to get off. If a tree has fallen through the roof, forget it (don’t laugh, I’ve been offered several with natural “skylights”). Most repairs are pretty simple, and if you do it yourself, cheap.

That’s a great idea! (nt) - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 10, 1999 at 16:56:53:

nt