Mobile Home on Lot - Posted by Dave

Posted by ScottS(NC) on August 22, 2003 at 09:25:17:

Dave,

Yes, if you are not sure Always check with your local government/zoning authorities. I would be very sure of the ramifications of the old underground tanks before purchasing. If you are planning on holding the property as a longterm rental a clear title might not be as important to you as it would be if you plan to replace the home and flip. Get a good RE attorney to reasearch this property and advise you before doing anything.

As far as demolishing I have a local demolition company that I use and also a local grading company that will also bulldoze and haul these away. For about $1200 for a singlewide. You can look up Demolition in the phone book but they seem to be more expensive than just a local grader who needs some work. HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

Mobile Home on Lot - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on August 21, 2003 at 20:33:35:

anyone have experiance with old mobile home on lots, well I found one vacant, looks not inhabitable, on 1 acre lot , and going to call the owner now, any advice for me.

update - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on August 22, 2003 at 09:16:24:

called owner, 1.5 acres, good well and sewer, the mobile home needs to be demolished and he said he wants to sell, but he said there was underground gas tanks on the property, the state took them out 2 years ago, and he said the papers are all screwed up and he can’t sell it for now. he said he was going to sell it to the farmer that has the land around it, I told him to call me when he ready to sell.

More question I have on mh on lots.

Should you always check with zoning before you by a lot like this?
what the best way to demolish a mh? this one for instance had no axles?

Re: Mobile Home on Lot - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on August 22, 2003 at 08:02:51:

Dave,

This is what I run adds looking for in my area. I love finding these old junkers for dirt cheap. Check out your utilitys but mostly just get a real good price or walk away. Tell them the house will need to be junked the area cleaned up so you must get a very low price for it to be worth your time.

If you get it demolish the home, if it is trashed or outdated. Throw a repo Doublewide on the land if you can. Or just a repo singlewide depending on your exit strategy. I can usually end up with a cleared off lot and working utilitys for much cheaper than I could develop or buy a lot with utilitys. Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: Mobile Home on Lot - Posted by j

Posted by j on August 22, 2003 at 24:22:02:

check with county zoning, maybe you need above ground septic.(costly)

Re: How to demolish a MH? Possibly… - Posted by Paul

Posted by Paul on August 22, 2003 at 12:06:40:

Call the local fire department. Offer the MH to them for training. They might burn it, practice putting it out, and then they pay for clean up. I have heard of folks doing this with regular homes, but not mobiles. But, for the price of a phone call, it might be worth a try. Also, try to get copies of the screwed up paperwork from the owner. You may be able to trade some legwork for a great deal on the land. Problems equal opportunities. Good luck.

Re: update - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on August 22, 2003 at 10:42:42:

I have a friend who owns a company, that specializes in brownfield restoration… maybe you’d want to give him a call?