mobile home question. - Posted by BoB L.

Posted by thanks nancy (BoB L.) N/T on May 05, 1999 at 13:58:33:


mobile home question. - Posted by BoB L.

Posted by BoB L. on May 04, 1999 at 19:59:49:

hi folks:
what are the problems you might encounter,concerning city codes and older manufactured housing ?older units that are moved and then set- up must be set to code,however, how do the rules apply to older units that aren’t moved.hope these questions aren’t to dumb.

BoB L.

P.s - thanks Jackie in dallas and Dirk roach for your previous answers,after costing everything and trying to find a lot for the unit unsuccessfully, I had to pass on this one(despite taking title for under 500 ) agian thanks.

I would have to say get… - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on May 06, 1999 at 24:52:57:

Lew Dickson’s Video “Mobile Home Land Development” if you plan on moving mobile homes. If you’re new actually that would be my second piece of advice my first would be don’t move them. :slight_smile:
Even though Lew’s Video focuses on Moving mobiles onto private lots of land, which he then develops to support a mobile home, I feel it is a great video because it illustrates so many of the nuances and such that is involved.
If your worried about bringing older homes which are in a park and plan to remain in a park, being a can of worms of code updates and such, it has not been a problem for me (so far).
I have found that the parks if they enforce such upgrades are pretty much on top of it. I have really found it’s either one extreme or the other.
One of the most important things which I look for I suppose would have to be a fuse box. If you find an old (and it would have to be pretty old) with those old round fuses in there, then you will have to update it to circuit breakers.
Aluminum wiring is another eyebrow raiser.
But really my best advice is just to follow Lonnie’s books and you’ll be okay. Of course asking a park manager what’s cool and what’s not (if you have a question about something) is probably a good idea too.
Good Luck

Re: mobile home question. - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on May 04, 1999 at 21:42:57:

Sounds like Nancy answered it. I’ve been doing mine in rural areas, and when they are in place there are no worries. When you move them there are also a lot less hassle in the rural areas. Just use a licensed electrician, plumber, etc. They are also licinsed for specific areas. Be sure not to go to rural though or you will kill yourself on the sale side.

David Alexander

Re: mobile home question. - Posted by Nancy Cason

Posted by Nancy Cason on May 04, 1999 at 21:32:45:

Usually homes in place are not inspected. Only if you move it do you get involved with code inspections. You need to check with your county building inspector etc. I can only speak for North Carolina. When I rehab a trailer in place I just do what I need to and then rent.

If I move it then all hook ups, must be done to code i.e. electrical service, water lines from meter to trailer. They will also inspect tie downs and steps. They do not inspect the inside of the trailer.

Just call your local authorities they will provide you with all the information you want. Also go ahead any pay for a copy of your local zoning ordinance. My state has a regulation for new mobile home parks. Get one it is good for general information. Each item is a piece of the puzzle (learning the trade). Even if you are only flipping trailers and holding the notes, the more you know the more you know and the more you know the better you get. (I repeated myself on purpose).

Above all remeber to HAVE FUN and keep a positive mental attitude.

Nancy in beautiful North Carolina

If the sale side is a killer ??? - Posted by Bob L.

Posted by Bob L. on May 05, 1999 at 24:59:35:

hi david;

then why are you dealing in rural areas ? Or are you saying don’t move a unit from the city to the country ?

just wondering
BoB L.