Mobile Home Repo - Posted by Greg

Posted by DC (IL) on June 18, 1999 at 06:59:14:

you could rent a storage unit in your city to temporarily store these items. Maybe the previous owner will surface and you can recoup your rent from him/her.

Or…

Maybe you can contact some relatives of the former owner. Perhaps they would know what to do with these personal items. If all else fails after you made a good faith effort, chuck 'em.

Mobile Home Repo - Posted by Greg

Posted by Greg on June 17, 1999 at 23:50:49:

I’m a Newbie who has been doing “Lonnie” deals. I have found my absolute best deals have been finance company repos. Here is my dilemma. I found a nice 14 X 70 that was repo’ed by a finance company I have been working with. I think I can get it for under $2500.00 and probably sell it for $ 6-8000 carrying the paper. When I went to look at it I found that the prior owner’s personal effects were still in the MH. Jewelry, pictures, clothes, food, etc. Now what do I do? Just because the MH was repo’ed doesn’t mean I can sell all these personal items and effects does it? I was told that the former owner took off to Mexico a few months ago. Do I dare to dispose of these items? The manager of the finance company tells me I can do whatever I want with the personal items. I don’t think so. Any ideas?

Re: Mobile Home Repo - Posted by Freddy Wells

Posted by Freddy Wells on June 20, 1999 at 24:38:33:

I would box up all the personal belongings and hang onto them for a couple of months and if you don’t hear from the owner, I would dispose of them.

I know when a car is repoed in my home state of Oklahoma and personal belongings are still in the car, we bag up the junk, put there name on the bags and store it for a couple of months before throwing it out. I would take pictures of all the stuff as it appears in the home before moving it out to proove what was or wasn’t there at time of possession.

Re: Mobile Home Repo - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on June 18, 1999 at 09:16:47:

I believe this would be addressed in your state statutes of Law. Here in Florida it spells it out (haven’t experienced it yet, though)what the procedures are for ‘Disposition of Abandoned property’. I believe you are required to publish in a newspaper and allow a certain timeframe, certified letter should CYA if you have a forwarding address. Check your statutes if they are online, or a clerk at your county courthouse may be helpful. My .03 (inflation)

Walt_FL

Mr. Bronchick, can you help on this one? (nt) - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on June 18, 1999 at 08:41:30:

NT

Re: Mobile Home Repo - Posted by Dan (NC)

Posted by Dan (NC) on June 18, 1999 at 07:51:41:

I think I would pack up the items and send them to the finance company. Tell them you bought the home, not the personal possessions, and as far as you’re concerned, the personal items still “belong” to the finance company. They repo’ed it, let them assume responsibility for the junk. They’ll just send them to the dump anyway, but this way you shouldn’t be liable (I’m not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice).