Mobile Home Workshop - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Lyal on October 23, 2003 at 10:25:51:

Mack,
I think it’s best to “blend in” whenever possible. Whatever market you’re working in at the time it’s best it the people you’re dealing with feel comfortable. That also applies when you’re dealing with bankers and attorneys (dress up a level or two).
When I’m in the parks I wear jeans and a T-shirt and drive my pick-up (nice but not new truck). I wave to everyone as I drive by and stop and chat with people often. There’s nothing contrived about it as I’ve met some really nice people in the parks and I get quite a few referrals pointed my way. Of course it helps that I pay finder’s fees too B-)
Lyal

Mobile Home Workshop - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on October 22, 2003 at 17:56:20:

October is coming to and end soon and I can’t help but miss the mobile home workshop. Each year here we see new names appear. Some come, some go, some stay and many lurk without posting.

We all learn a great deal by reading the posts but I cannot express how valuable the networking at the workshops has been to me and many others.

You always hear, “it sure is good to put a face with the name.” (Or holy crud…your Tony-VA…I thought you would be taller…).

You get to meet folks investing right in your back yard that you never knew about. Or you meet someone who has been doing your kind of deal for years and years. All have some interesting twist or experience that makes them both entertaining and valuable to you.

I can still here one man from the very first mobile home workshop. He stood up, slapped his forehead and yelled, “now I know how to do that deal!”

He ran out the door and called his wife to begin the deal. He was on cloud nine the rest of the weekend.

I assure you that most, if not all of us have a similar experience at these workshops.

Friendships are formed and the “mastermind team” takes root. Within a few weeks you are calling other regularly to walk through a new deal or problem. They help you and you help them.

Heck, I even got to like Karl!

Last year we meet Lyal in person. Boy if he don’t look like a trailer investor :slight_smile:

How about sitting up till 2 am listening to Terry Vaughan? How about spending dinner with Lonnie Scruggs or Ray Alcorn (offer Ray a good cigar and you are in).

The interesting part for me is the folks that read this site but remain quiet. Then you meet them in person and find out just how incredible they are at what they do. You will find these folks sitting in small groups. Suddenly someone jumps up, slaps their forehead and…well you get the picture.

I don’t know about you folks, but I miss not having that workshop this month. I certainly hope another is not far off. Maybe we can convince them to put on another show.

Tony

ps. John Hyre’s time is most easily purchased at that sushi bar!

Ray I’ll Bring the Cohibas!!! - Posted by Ryan_MO

Posted by Ryan_MO on October 23, 2003 at 11:54:15:

Yeah Im game for any kind of Mh workshop to be put together. I’m dyin to pick some peoples brains and meet the people that have so graciously given their time to this board.

Ryan_MO

PS I’ve never had sushi so hopefully John and I can meet up!

Re: Mobile Home Workshop - Posted by Lonnie

Posted by Lonnie on October 23, 2003 at 09:33:13:

Hi Tony,

We discussed this a couple of months back with the possibility of doing one in January. Haven?t talked with Terry or Ray since, so not sure what their schedule allows, or their thoughts are on doing one. We had mentioned doing one in November, but Terry and Ed Garcia have their lenders workshop then.

I stay pretty flexible (translation?I don?t make too many ?long range plans.? Yeah, two month is long range for me.) But if, and when Ray and Terry want to do one, I can probably ?work it into my schedule?.

Would be nice to see all of you MH players again and hear about your latest deals. In the meantime, keep those deals going.

All the best,

Lonnie

PS Joanne and I had dinner the other night next to the place where I used to do my weekend workshops. Sure brought back some nice memories. For awhile I even felt the urge to do another one. But then wine wore off.

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!! - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on October 23, 2003 at 08:12:35:

and I was in my “Sunday go ta meetin” clothes. You should see me when I’m driving the parks in my pick-up…

All kidding aside, I’m really looking forward to the next one. Had lots of fun and met a lot of great people (many of whom now kick my a$$ as investors!).
Lyal

Re: Mobile Home Workshop - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on October 23, 2003 at 24:25:03:

Where is the workshop and when is it?

Phil Pelletier

I’ll send you a couple cases of wine!! (nt) - Posted by Lyal

Posted by Lyal on October 23, 2003 at 13:56:52:

no text…

Re: Hey!!! I resemble that remark!! - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on October 23, 2003 at 10:49:24:

To explain, at the last mobile home workshop, several of us arranged to meet everyone at a local restaurant on the eve preceeding the workshop. This is the time when most folks arrive and have trouble finding the other investors.

Our guide that night (Tim Masters) was unable to make it at the last minute. We all headed to the airport (Lonnie included) to meet at the restaurant (which was packed).

As we walked through the airport, an investor we had never met walked up to Lyal and I and asked if we were mobile home investors.

Off all the people in the airport, Lyal and I got pegged. We decided to be flattered :slight_smile:

Tony

Re: Hey!!! I resemble that remark!! - Posted by Mack

Posted by Mack on October 23, 2003 at 08:21:42:

I know, Lyle, what you said was partly in jest about “you should see me when I’m driving the parks in my pickup” but I wanted to ask something. I’ve been reading Influence by Robert Cialdini and one of the things in his book is we like those like us and tend to buy from or sell to those we like. Do any of you use this when you’re buying mostly and selling to be like the people you’re buying from and how do you do it?
thanks

Mack (OK)

Re: Mobile Home Workshop - Posted by Ton-VA/NC

Posted by Ton-VA/NC on October 23, 2003 at 08:59:33:

As far at I know, there are no certain plans, but that is what I was hoping to encourage. Perhaps we can convince JP and Terry to talk to Lonnie and Ray.

Tony