Mobile homes and droopy ceilings.... - Posted by Michael from Bham

Posted by Michael from Bham on March 15, 2000 at 13:37:02:

I just got on the PC and did a flyer…I’ll paste in the text at the bottom. Printed off about 12 or 15 and taped em up at places near parks…grocery stores…convenience stores…laundrymats…MH parks. As a result of putting up these flyers, I got about 20 calls. I didn’t even have a home for sale. I told everybody that called that I had sold it, qualified em for cash down, asked what they specifically were looking for, what part of town, etc. Problem is that it took me a couple of months to get another home (doing this around my regular job)…and my list has gone a little cold. But I am putting some new flyers out tonight after work. Here is the text of my first flyer:

MOBILE HOME FOR SALE
WILL FINANCE

$7,900
3 BR 2 BA
Stove
Washer & Dryer
refrigerator
Very good condition
nice park

(phone no’s)

Also put some little tags on the bottom with my phone no’s so folks could tear em off and take with em…good luck, let us know how you do!

PS I met another guy who deals in used MHs the other day, but doesn’t finance em…in his brand new Mercedes Benz…there is money to be made in this!

Mobile homes and droopy ceilings… - Posted by Michael from Bham

Posted by Michael from Bham on March 14, 2000 at 12:50:21:

Hi list…I am the proud new owner of a 1988 14 x 66 2/1 wobbly box…and although the roof is solid and does not leak (strong Tstorms last Friday), a previous leak has damaged some of the ceiling material…I want to cut the damaged portion out and replace it because it looks really bad. It’s a foam type material (like drop ceiling tile), about 1 - 1.5 inches thick. Anyone done this repair? Is it tricky? Anything I should be aware of or special techniques? Thanks for your thoughts…Michael, on wobbly box deal number one.

PS…I am surprised at the amount of GRIEF I am getting from wife and family on being a trailer baron!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA(LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!!!)

Re: Mobile homes and droopy ceilings… - Posted by Angelia Clayton

Posted by Angelia Clayton on March 14, 2000 at 13:51:24:

I better respond to this before my husband does, as this is his least favorite repair!! All of the homes we have repaired ceilings in have had 4 foot wide sheets of ceiling board that comes in various widths to span the width of the home. These sheets can be purchased at your local mobile home parts store. The width is unique, so I would recommend seeking out something especially used in mobile homes.

This can be a tricky repair as most of the time the ceilings were installed prior to the paneling on the walls. The ceiling panels usually extend beyond the paneling, making it tricky to wedge the panels into place. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do it all by yourself without something to help you lift and balance the panels.

I convinced my husband by running a test ad in our local newspaper and had over twenty responses within a few days. He is more excited about this business than I could ever imagine!!

Good Luck
Angelia

Re: Mobile homes and droopy ceilings… - Posted by Andy in Michigan

Posted by Andy in Michigan on March 15, 2000 at 07:35:29:

What was the test ad for? Please give details. I own some houses now, and am considering doing Lonnie deals. Please let me know. I will start with the generous income tax return I’m getting(because of my REI) and buying a few for cash flow/pyramiding. I’m interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.
Andy