Mobile Homes in New Jersey Parks

I am brand new to the mobile home investment arena. I was wondering if any one knew if it was true that you can’t rent out a mobile home that you own in a park in NJ? I wanted to start buying, rehabbing and doing a rent or lease to purchase then I heard that.

Thank you,

Jack Klein
Mobile Home investing in:
Southern New Jersey/Eastern Pennsylvania and Northern Delaware

JR,
A lot of park OWNERS and managers (PMs) do not allow others to rent out MoHos in their park. The reason for this is that the PMs have less control over the space than they would like. It is unlikely there is a NJ law disallowing renting MoHos in a park, but I don’t know that for a fact.

If renting them out is your intention, you will need to find a friendly MHP owner that you can do it with. What I mean is, you buy and rehab the trailer, you or PM find the renter and BOTH approve the renter. The advantage to the PM is he/she does not have to put up any cash/capital/dinero for the home or rehab and lot rent starts flowing again.

Once you are comfortable with the owner/PM (6mos.? 1 yr.?) it might be feasible to bring in a home or two to rent. That would really get them excited as they have virtually no way of getting lot rent from an empty lot unless they spend their own $$.

Caution: DO NOT START OFF BY MOVING HOMES IN. You could be in a world of hurt in a few short months. Get to know the players well, first.

Steve