Modular Homes - Posted by J. Whitner

Posted by JT-IN on July 20, 2002 at 23:39:37:

Rick:

I think attitudes are changing about true “Modulars”. For those that have a stigma, it is usually due to misinformation, and confusing one type house for the other; as in thinking a Modular is a Mobile; one in the same.

There are some really nice factory built units today, as well as some great pubilicity in magazines which is getting the word around… It sometimes takes time to re-educate the public, and this is/has been happening on the subject of Factory built housing.

Of course, I am still partial to the assembled on site type myself…

JT-IN

Modular Homes - Posted by J. Whitner

Posted by J. Whitner on July 19, 2002 at 10:51:31:

Will someone please give me or direct me to information on purchasing and investing in modular homes.

What are the pros and cons are to purchasing a modular home?

Thanks!

Re: Modular Homes - Posted by michael(nh)

Posted by michael(nh) on July 19, 2002 at 18:46:41:

In my part of NH we have 3 types of construction that are commonly confused. The lenders recognize the terms as:

Mobile Home - a single wide property that is on a slab or blocks with no cellar or foundation, usually in a park setting.

Manufactured Home- similar to a mobile. At least doublewide, usually 28’ and with the wheels detached and on at least a slab and sometimes a foundation.

Modular - Built in a factory, no wheels attached, sent to the construction site and set on foundation. Typically 2-6 sections, with most being 2-4 sections. Can be cape, colonial, ranch, contemporary, etc.

Modulars and Manufactured can get 30 year convential financing here. Mobile Homes seem to be financable, but it a fungible event since some MH lenders are cleaning up their portfolios.

A much misunderstood term… Modular - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on July 19, 2002 at 12:11:24:

J:

The term “Modular” is used by many folks offering products that are not really a “Modular Home”.

True modulars are factory built homes, in a pretty similar manner to those that are built on site, containing no “title” as is the case with a “Mobile Home”. Mobile Homes are really classified as vehicles, and therefore have a vehicular title.

I have built… or should say, “set and finished” a couple of Modulars. Depending upon the product that you purchase, you can end up with a very nice, that when finished, is almost indistinguishable from a site built home. The ones that I have built are from Crest Homes, located in Middlebury, Indiana. If interested, I can hook you up with someone who can give you much more info in detail.

All in all, I was pleased with the product. The major advantage is time, as well as building in a controlled environment. Most of the raw materials in a Modular have never seen a raindrop, such as subfloor, framing, etc. You certainly can’t say this about any stick-built home. The drawback is flexiblity… if you want to change something after the order is scheduled for production, which may occur weeks before actual construction), you are stuck with what you ordered.

After building site-built homes and Modulars, I still prefer the site-built approach. Teh cost of both is amazingly about the same, when it is all said and done.

JT-IN

Re: A much misunderstood term… Modular - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on July 19, 2002 at 14:21:25:

JT,
Since you have some experience with modular homes I was wondering what your thoughts are on FMV for modulars. Would you appraise one the same as a site built? I have recently run across a modular but am having a hard time finding similar modulars to compare to. Do you feel that there is any stigma against modulars that might make them any harder to sell or not be able to ask quite as much as a stick built? I agree that modulars are about equal in quality (especially with some of the construction companies around here) but what about popular opinion? How do you feel the general public views modulars? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Rick

MODULAR HOME COMPANIES - Posted by Dezra Lehr-Guthrie

Posted by Dezra Lehr-Guthrie on July 21, 2002 at 12:48:19:

Please someone give me a list of modular companies out there! Thank you! :slight_smile: